I just don't get it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just don't get it

I went to check out a 57 D100 that was listed on ebay that was about 40 minutes away. The truck was listed as only needing some TLC. I found this place in the boondocks and as soon as I drove up I could see it wasn't going to be good. The truck was toast, it will take more than TLC to turn this thing into decent scrap.

The only good parts on it were the rear fenders, a big back window, the front chrome bumper and the window stainless. This is an automatic truck with the tranny still in but the motor was gone. There was a 315 with an automatic in the bed but it was full of water as in the crankcase.

The truck has a buy it now of $1200. A woman who said she wrote the ad came down to ask what I thought. I told her what the truck was but it was beyond restoration and I'd give $200 for it. She called the owner of the scrap yard who said he'd have to have $600 for it. I told her I'd think about it.

I looked it over again going over twice. I went to the office to see if he'd sell parts. Nope he wanted $600 for it whole or it was going to the crusher, claiming he'd get $600.

I told him I'd like first shot at it no one else bought and before it went to it's fate. He claimed someone else was coming tomorrow to look at it so I left my card if he didn't sell it. No way is this worth $600 to me but I tried.

I think the guy will crush it for spite if nothing else. I lived without it before I saw it so I'll live without it if it's crushed, too bad though.

deal with the crusher guy after he buys it

Just wondering, could you notify local crusher shops that you're on the prowl for 57 dodge parts, and would they be so kind as to give you a call if anything comes into their yard?

Comment

Once they get tagged for crushing it's curtains. These guys don't care or respect what they crush since it's all $$$ to them. This guy will mash it when it gets loaded on the truck to be finished off anyway. I'm not holding my breath that I'll get a call. The parts I would like to have are the only things good on the truck. Reminds me of the song by Queen, "Another one bites the dust".

Comment

Ron,
        I think you are right about the spite observation. Sadly, that is the way a lot of people operate. A small petty mind.
        Your story reminds me of a client I once had.
        She related to me a story once about how she liked to go to the weekly auction around here, which was sort of a small item/furnishings/"junk" affair.
        One time there was a woman there that my client took a dislike to. As it went my client purposely bid against the woman and won the item out of spite; she did not really want it that much but she was motivated to keep the other woman from any sort of "victory". It was even more amazing that she related that to me.
        I would have been embarrassed about something like that.

Comment

Being spiteful is showing one's immaturity I believe. I got an email saying the truck was sold. It's to far to go check so we'll let that one go. I hope if someone did get it they didn't pay what he was asking. But as PT always said, there's one born every second.

Comment

It might just be your area. Around here Junk/scrap yards always set that kind of stuff to the side and hold on to it as long as they possibly can to give someone a chance to come pick it up. They pretty much always sell it to you for whatever scrap weight value they would get for it. There are also a lot of old farmers and people that want stuff off their property and will give it away to whomever can come haul it away. That is how i came about my 59 W100 Power Wagon I just picked up Saturday. It was 3 days from the crusher and the guy didnt want to see it crushed but he needed the room. He called around to all his friends to put the word out, a buddy of mine happened to think of me and the rest is history.
            Its sad to hear that parts of this country are coming to that. People used to respect history and works that have managed to survive this long.

Comment

Working...
            X