Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 W100 Power Steering

Hey Guys,

Tried to look for previous thread on this but did not find.

Anyone know what power steering box to use to convert a W100 to power steering?

Any other tips for the conversion would help.

Does the sloppiness and wandering go away when you change the box or is that from something else?

Thanks for your help guys!

I've got a 1958 Dodge W100 that was pretty loose in the steering. Although the install isn't completed I have every confidence that when through the steering will feel like new. I rebuilt the front axle knuckles, added new tie rod ends and got a rebuilt steering box from an outfit in San Jose, CA. And let me tell you, that rebuilt box wasn't cheap. And then to top it off I bought a new drag link from Rare Parts.com in Stockton. The link, by the way, is made of gold or least they think so.

And then!!!!

I also rebuilt the suspension links from parts out of Rare Parts.com and was lucky enough to get a hold of very nice pair of front spring rear shackle mounts in the frame. The shackle bolt on the left rear of the spring that goes into the cast mount in the frame is a left handed thread. I need to check an old thread of mine to be sure. It's an age thing.

Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve!

So if you go through everything, the wandering goes away completely and one can drive the truck with confidence? No white knuckles?!

Comment

Doh!

Just saw you have'nt finished yet!

I would like to keep the original manual steering but my wife really wants to drive the truck...according to her its hers anyway, so I was considering the power steering option.

Comment

Converting over to power steering can be done but it is quite an involved process. I talked to the guys over at West Texas Off Road about doing it on my 58, and they said I would be better off sticking with my manual steering box but they could help me add on a hydraulic assist... a simple idea with a somewhat complicated execution involving splicing a control valve into the steering column somewhere between the firewall and the box. It makes sense but there would be a lot of fiddly little fabrication challenges to overcome.

As far as the slop in your steering, I would probably go through the front end before I started trying to change stuff. Have you tried adjusting your steering box? Sometimes that will do the trick, if not you should check the knuckles and tie rod like Steve said. One thing I will add, when you remove the outer half of the steering knuckle there will be a roller bearing on the bottom and a bronze cone on the top. When reassembling the knuckle it is possible to replace the bronze cone with the same type of roller bearing that is on the bottom. This will make a noticeable difference in the amount of effort required to steer the truck.

When everything in your front end is tight and right, white knuckles should be a thing of the past, my 58 drives like a 3 ton four wheel drive race car.

Comment

Originally posted by 57TWPW View Post
            Doh!
            I would like to keep the original manual steering but my wife really wants to drive the truck...according to her its hers anyway, so I was considering the power steering option.

I understand your position about the power steering and your wife. My '58 W100 seems to belong to my wife - that's her baby. But with the front end completely rebuilt and staying with the stock 17.5 rims and tires I don't think my wife will have any problems driving it. The problem I see, more than likely, is shifting the three on the tree for her. That will be the next step I tackle, getting the linkage tightened up.

Comment

Steve, the next time at fairfield we 'll put your woman in the truck with my woman and she can watch as mine tools around in our 58ff, you know, the scrougie green one that you liked! they will both speak the same language, some kind of unknown thing that neither one of us know! and she can learn all kinds of things about trucks with out cup holders!, see you there! Dave.

Comment

Converting a W200/W100 Power Giant is actually a very easy process that took my friend and I only about 1.5 days to complete. I think I have posted on here before about how we did it. Anyone interest can email me, and as I get time, I will send photos and a description of how it is done.
                Jeff
                jthomasmet@verizon.net

Originally posted by Aaron S View Post
                Converting over to power steering can be done but it is quite an involved process. I talked to the guys over at West Texas Off Road about doing it on my 58, and they said I would be better off sticking with my manual steering box but they could help me add on a hydraulic assist... a simple idea with a somewhat complicated execution involving splicing a control valve into the steering column somewhere between the firewall and the box. It makes sense but there would be a lot of fiddly little fabrication challenges to overcome.

As far as the slop in your steering, I would probably go through the front end before I started trying to change stuff. Have you tried adjusting your steering box? Sometimes that will do the trick, if not you should check the knuckles and tie rod like Steve said. One thing I will add, when you remove the outer half of the steering knuckle there will be a roller bearing on the bottom and a bronze cone on the top. When reassembling the knuckle it is possible to replace the bronze cone with the same type of roller bearing that is on the bottom. This will make a noticeable difference in the amount of effort required to steer the truck.

When everything in your front end is tight and right, white knuckles should be a thing of the past, my 58 drives like a 3 ton four wheel drive race car.

Comment

Dave, it's great to hear from you. Hope all is doing well with you and can't wait to see you at the rally.

Jeff, I still have the info you sent me for the power steering. Thank you much. I'm going to apply that to the D400 since the truck will not be doing any more heavy hauling than the W100. I've already spent a small fortune on the W100 parts to change paths. Marie, my wife, doesn't seem to mind too much since she expects to drive the D400 as well.

Comment

If my memory serves me, did Ford utilize a hydraulic assist in the late 60's to mid-70's rather than a a true power steering box? If so, a variation fo that should be able to utilized to perform a semi-simple upgrade.

Just an idea.

Comment

Thanks! What about the leaf spring shackles and bushings?

Thanks for all your help guys! Really do appreciate it!

Jeff in North Texas came up with a very straightforward way to to the retrofit so I will be trying that way.

Aaron, I will do the whole rebuild of the front end as you said first, I did try adjusting the box and it helped some but I think I am at the end of adjustment, so probably remaining slop is left in all the other worn parts.

How about the leaf spring shackles and bushings? I checked other threads but really did not find a definite fix.

-Should I retrofit some better shackles instead of the one-legged rear pseudo shackles?

What about the leaf spring bushings? Can I have some wittled out of polyurethane or go solid steel?

Comment

Tie Rod Ends NEED HELP PLEASE!

Anyone know the part # for tie rod ends for a 1957 W100?

I tried

MOOG BRAND
                        ES158R
                        ES158L

TRW/ McQuay Norris
                        ES60R
                        ES60L

But they dont work:

Problem is the shaft that goes into the knuckle is too large in diameter, could these be for the Dana 44 large knuckle instead?

Anyone know the right part numbers?
                        How about the drag link? Rare parts seems to be priced way too high?

Comment

Working...
                        X