Carburetion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carburetion

I believe the 2-bbl carb on my 315 Poly is a Stromberg. It has a 4 bolt base plate. The carb needs rebuilt to get the varnish out of it and miscallaneous gunk. I was thinking of replacing it with a later model carb so that I could use a paper filter rather than the oil bath.

Does anybody know the bolt pattern size of the Stromberg?
    How about a Rochester 2-Jet?
    I'm not a big fan of Holley, but I suppose I could kit it to keep it from drowning the truck when four-wheeling. I would also like to stay away from Autolite/Ford.

Any other ideas to improve upon the stock setup. Not really interested in a square-bore 4-bbl and I bet there are no spread-bore manifolds for this engine. If so, a Quadra-Jet would be in order.

Thank you.

doing some research and this is what I have found. Rochester has a dedicated 2-bbl carb called the 2-Jet; half of a QuadraJet called DualJet; and a later emmisions carb called VaraJet II.

I loved using QuadraJets off road as I could not flood them, they gave excellent mileage and lots of power. The DualJet is the primary side of a QuadraJet. This looks very promising.

The 2-Jet is an old design that was used as the carb on many V-8's including the Tri-Power GM cars. Very straighforward.

The VaraJet II seems to be basically a QuadraJet cut in half lengthwise to give a primary and secondary bore. Very interesting.

I think that a DualJet or a 2-Jet would be the optimum carb for a relatively slow-spinning 315 Poly motor that is in my W100 and will be used off-road (Moab, San Juans, etc.)

Other opinions? Information? Ideas?

Comment

Another Option

I know you said you didn't like the Holleys but....

they used to sell carburetors for exact oem replacement applications. They were direct bolt ons and NOT high performance carbs for racing. I sold quite a few and all my customers were happy with them. That was 20+ years ago so I do not know if they are still available today.

Comment

OEM replacement from Holley would be interesting. I will look into it. Are they half a spreadbore? Do you know if they have center hung or side hung floats? I am assuming that the parts would interchange between a 4-bbl and 2-bbl.

My experiences with Holley was with a 750 double pumper on a street/strip car and a 650 spreadbore on a 4X4.

The versatility and customizability of both was incredible. tuning for street was easy. The 750 was evil fast on the strip and very respnsive on the street. The 650 flooded and sputtered off road. I tried using a vacuum line with a notch between the breather tubes. Also a Holley Off road kit. Dialed the floats down. I could never get it to run right when in extreme climbs, drops, off-camber situations, and it would act like the floats bounced if the truck bounced over an obstacle. I replaced it with a QuadraJet and didn't have any issues. A single bowl Holley probably would not have the flooding issues.

Comment

Change carbs if you want, but the Stromberg WW is a good off road carb in my experience and there are plenty of air filters out there that will fit it. There is also a similar carb made by Carter which some people prefer. If you're interested in changing intake manifolds check out Hot Heads and see what they have for the tall deck Dodge hemi (315-325 hemis/polys are the same block with different heads/valvetrain/pistons... intake manifolds are the same). That motor would probably run sweet with a Q-jet...

Comment

Aaron, the Stromberg looks like a good carb, I just dont have the clamp to mount the oil-bath filter and the carb does not have a center stud for a standard paper filter. Is there a way to mount a regular filter on this carb?

I agree, I would bet a Q-Jet would really make the engine run good. I checked out Hot Hemi Heads like you said. Cool stuff. the price moves it a it out of my price range, though. BUT, that being said, there are always swap meets that I may luck into.

Comment

I'm trying to attach some photos of my carb as an example... All the Stromberg WW's that I have run across have had this funky center stud set up. Basically its a bolt with a piece of heavy wire wrapped around it, the wire then clips into two small holes on either side of the carb just above the air filter base flange. If your carb has the holes it shouldn't be too hard to fabricate something like this. I've never seen a filter that was held on only by the ring clip at the base, but I'll be the first to admit that I am far from having seen it all.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S View Post
                I'm trying to attach some photos of my carb as an example... All the Stromberg WW's that I have run across have had this funky center stud set up. Basically its a bolt with a piece of heavy wire wrapped around it, the wire then clips into two small holes on either side of the carb just above the air filter base flange. If your carb has the holes it shouldn't be too hard to fabricate something like this. I've never seen a filter that was held on only by the ring clip at the base, but I'll be the first to admit that I am far from having seen it all.
                Many applications from the 40's and early 50's had air filter assemblies attached with a clamp ring that was tightened with a long screw shaft extending out to within reach of the service person. The end would present a feature reminding you somewhat of a wingnut — formed from the thin rod.
                Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Darn, my carb does not have any holes, just a tapered mounting flange for a clamp. Thanks for the idea, Aaron, wish it would have worked.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Kay View Post
                    Darn, my carb does not have any holes, just a tapered mounting flange for a clamp. Thanks for the idea, Aaron, wish it would have worked.
                    It should not be hard to find an air cleaner for your application.

Comment

Interesting, my 58 W300 has both the center stud and the ring clamp on the base, as does the 58 D200 parts truck. What year/model is your truck?

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S View Post
                        Interesting, my 58 W300 has both the center stud and the ring clamp on the base, as does the 58 D200 parts truck. What year/model is your truck?
                        Perhaps the stud is only part of the air filter assembly, and not screwed into the carburetor?

Comment

Working...
                        X