More trucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More trucks

I keep telling my self I need to quit buying more trucks, but I never listen.

I took delivery of these 2 last evening. These are both really solid trucks. The engine and trans in the 57 are not original and I'm going to have to search for enough parts to return it to stock. I guess that's half the fun, isn't it.

i'm really looking forward to having enough time to spend on these.
    Attached Files

I bid on the dark one (1960 W500?) on Ebay last month. I have no idea how I would have gotten it from Wy. to Tx.

Glad it has a good home.

Bucky

Comment

Darker truck

I bid as far as I wanted to go and didn't get it bought on Ebay. The owner contacted me later and said the winning bid was a scammer. I did some research and decided the seller was on the up and up, so I worked out a deal with him.

Transportation costs almost as much as trucks do, you just have to decide how bad you want them. I got that one hauled for about $1.25 a mile.

Don't ask on the 57. I have way to much money in that one, but I wanted it. I considered it a once in lifetime opportunity. If I didn't pay what it takes for that one, I'd never have one. I have a 57 W100, am looking for a W200 and am considering building a 1957 W300 (the one Dodge never built). I like 57 Power Giants.

Dennis

Comment

I scrapped a 57 D700 except for the transmission, a 5 speed and the sheet metal. Then engine was a 354 Hemi and it had air brakes. I have the compressor too. The cab has rust and the doors are shot at the bottoms but it has good flares. I would be willing to sell any or all of what I have.

Comment

57 truck parts

Ron,

I'll keep that stuff in mind, most of what you list I either have of is good on the truck.

To bad I didn't get the truck before you scrapped the D700. One of the tougher things I'm going to need is the transmission cross member for the big frames, the one from this truck was discarded when they put the 360 and 435 tranny in it. They used a transmission with the rear mount and welded a matching cross member at the back. The conversion was done reasonably well and would be serviceable, but I would like to see it returned to stock.

I just checked the parts book, the one off the D700 isn't the one called for. I suppose the 700 frame was deeper or wider than the 500. I've got one from a D100, I'll have to stick it under there and see if I can make it work.

Dennis

Comment

Wow, those are beautiful... I am envious.

Comment

Originally posted by iranch View Post
              Ron,

To bad I didn't get the truck before you scrapped the D700. One of the tougher things I'm going to need is the transmission cross member for the big frames, the one from this truck was discarded when they put the 360 and 435 tranny in it. They used a transmission with the rear mount and welded a matching cross member at the back. The conversion was done reasonably well and would be serviceable, but I would like to see it returned to stock.

Dennis
              I scrapped that truck last year. I tried to find it a home but no takers. It's long gone by now. Hope you find what you need. I also have a 57 COE 500 with the same transmission and a 315. The frame was stretched and now the plates for the graft are swelled due to rust. I'm thinking of putting the sheet metal on a newer chassis. Maybe that cross member will help you out?

Comment

57 coe

If you decide to part the drive train on that truck, let me know. Maybe we can work something out. I would be interested in a lot of it.

Dennis

Comment

mirror question

Hey,
                  Can you tell me anything about the tow mirrors on the truck in the first pic above? I really want a set of those exact mirrors for my 53. I like the "sergeant stripes" for lack of a better term etched into the metal. I have looked on Ebay but so far no luck. anything you can tell me would be great, or, if you're looking to sell those, let me know.

Comment

Mirrors

I never paid much attention to the mirrors. That style mirror used to be a standard after market product and were available at most parts houses. A visit to the junk yard should yield a good set, they were fairly common, at least here in the midwest. If you don't come up with anything, let me know and maybe we can work something out.

Dennis

Comment

ok thanks...I've been looking for a while at boneyards here in SC, but no luck. Let me know if those could be had, or if you run across a set out that way that you would be willing to part with.

Comment

Working...
                      X