DANA 70 AXLES in a POWER GIANT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DANA 70 AXLES in a POWER GIANT?

Has anyone tried to put Dana 70 Axles under a 57-58 era Power Giant Power Wagon?

I found some axles from a 1965 W300 with leaf springs, and everything else.

Are they too wide for our trucks?

Thanks!

There were Power Giants with Dana 70 fronts. I am not sure of the years. Someone else should be along here shortly.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

POWER GIANT W300s

1957 was the only year of the PGs that did not have a conventional cab W300, for that one year only, the FFPW was labeled W300. 1958,59 and 60 had W300s that had the 70 series axles under them. I always wanted to build a 57 W300, but haven't come up with a frame yet. If anybody in the Mid-West has a PG W300 frame to spare let me know.

Dennis

Comment

Does anyone know if the W300 axles from a 65W300 will work under our POwer Giants?

Are they too wide?
        Where should I be measuring from?

Are parts hard to find? Forums dont seem to fond of the 58-71 Dana 70s as parts are hard to find and they are all drums, no discs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, having hard time finding the info.

Thanks all,

Dan

Comment

I don't see why you couldn't get them to work, although you might have to use different/custom spring hangers. I have a 58 and a 68 W300, as well as 58 W100 and D200 parts trucks. The Dana 70's under both W300s are identical to the naked eye, or at least to mine. The Power Giant frames are all very similar in design, having a kick-up over the front axle, the W300 frame being quite a bit heavier than the others. The Sweptline era W300 frames are different, being closer to a straight "I-beam" frame... you might need to mount the front axle to the Power Giant springs. The other issue will be the steering box. Because the Dana 70 has the tie rod behind the axle, and all the other front axles have the tie rod in front, there are necessarily some differences there. I haven't thought about it for awhile but I believe the W300 boxes may actually turn the opposite direction? I know the pitman arm is different. Maybe somebody else here can straighten me out?

Comment

Working...
          X