Steering knuckle bearing ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering knuckle bearing ?

I am thinking of replacing the bronze cone top knuckle bearings on my Dana 70 (58 W300) with the same tapered roller bearing found on the bottom. I understand it is a simple procedure and will greatly reduce steering effort. However, when calling VPW to order the parts I was told this is a bad idea, the roller bearing will be crushed to bits and I will be putting the bronze cones back in. I am skeptical about this because I know one or two people who have done this and had no problems (though not on a dana 70). Does anyone here know anything about this or have anything to say about it one way or the other? Is there a particular power giant era front axle that is unreceptive to this swap?

I think there has been some significant number of people who have done this. The bottom bearing is the loaded bearing, so the upper position should be able to accept a tapered roller bearing just fine.

One criticism of the roller on top is that you lose the natural damping action of the bronze cone, though I don't think it alone causes problems. Shimmy is more likely to be caused by wheel balance or caster issues, with bearing preload a possible contributor to the equation.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
      I think there has been some significant number of people who have done this. The bottom bearing is the loaded bearing, so the upper position should be able to accept a tapered roller bearing just fine.
      This is exactly my thinking on the matter. However, after being cautioned by someone I assume would be knowledgable on the matter I thought it might be in my best interest to ask if anyone, anywhere, had anything negative to say about this operation before I throw caution to the wind and dive into the knuckles head first... would that make me a knucklehead?

Comment

We have been replacing the top cones on Dodge axles with tapered rollers for years. Never the first issue no matter the application. We pay very close attention to bearing preload; this adjustment is critical to a good handling truck. We have never had the first complaint in regards to wander, shimmy,etc. In fact we have never had anyone that was not delighted with the set up.

Comment

Thanks Charles, that's exactly the confirmation I was looking for.

Comment

Working...
          X