Town Wagon Parts ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Town Wagon Parts ?

Im looking at getting my first Power Giant , a 64 Town Wagon 2wd.
    If I do get it I would like to make it 4wd.
    I have tons of parts for 61 to 71 sweptline pickups and I was wondering what parts interchange.
    Do they use the same crossmembers for the T-case ?
    How about steering components , pitman , draglink , ect. ?
    Pre 65 W200 front and rear leaf springs ?
    I guess all I need to know is , can I use every thing I allready have to convert it or will I have to find Power Giant specific donor parts ?
    Thanks guys !

Town Wagon Parts ?

The 61-66 D100 & W100 frames are the same as are the Town Wagon (114"wb). The TWs have different body mounts. The T-case and cross member could be used from a sweptline. There might even be pre drilled holes. Don't know if W200 springs are the same, but my TWPW has 1750lb springs in the rear which are W200 springs (standard on winch models).
    You would do a spring under conversion probably. I don't think D and W drag links are the same, but the steering box should be. Mighty hard to find the W drag link, I think I got the very last one from a Dodge dealer. Gar

Here is a link to my parts pdfs and wiring diagrams:
    http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/show...force_expand=y

Comment

Thanks Gary.
      Thats just what I was hoping for.
      Your right ,the D and W draglinks are different.
      The draglink on my 66 W-200 has two tie rod ends and a heavy duty sleave.
      It seems to work great , plenty strong and its adjustable.

Thanks for the link , theres a ton of good information !

Comment

Originally posted by CO Gary View Post
        The 61-66 D100 & W100 frames are the same as are the Town Wagon (114"wb). The TWs have different body mounts. The T-case and cross member could be used from a sweptline. There might even be pre drilled holes. Don't know if W200 springs are the same, but my TWPW has 1750lb springs in the rear which are W200 springs (standard on winch models).
        You would do a spring under conversion probably. I don't think D and W drag links are the same, but the steering box should be. Mighty hard to find the W drag link, I think I got the very last one from a Dodge dealer. Gar

Here is a link to my parts pdfs and wiring diagrams:
        http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/show...force_expand=y
        The Sweptline W100 was the same from '61 through
        '68. They used the same leaf spring/perch as the
        W200s did. The W drag links are different than the
        D drag links as you pointed out.

So..... YOU were the lucky guy that scored the
        last NOS W drag link eh?? :)
        John

Comment

Drag Link

John, Who would ever think to go to a Dodge Dealer for a part!!! It was $154, outrageous, but now it sounds cheap. He said it was the last one in the depot in Detroit. This was at least 10 years ago. I guess the only solution is to make one with heim (?) joints or something. VPW has adjustable ones. They are really just a short tie rod. Why did they not make the joints replaceable? Gar

Comment

Thanks for the help John and Gary !
            Im going to need more , as the Town Wagon has followed me home.
            Im not supose to work on it untill I finnish a couple other projects ( wifes orders ).
            But I will put up some pics and info this weekend.

Thanks guys !

Comment

Shock Mounts

Another thing: The L channel Front Shock Mounts on the D100 are longer and short on the W100, due to the position of the axle above or below the springs. I got a set of the longer ones for mine, thinking about getting longer shocks to increase articulation angles on the front axle. Don't know if this will actually do anything. I had a parts D100 TW once that had a partial conversion to 4wd. Gar

Check out my Trucks, Posters and other stuff:
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/31394972@N07/

Comment

Hmmm , I didnt know about the shock brackets .
                Thanks Gary , that may come in handy.
                Also , I have been to your Flickr page many times , I just didnt make the connection that it was you .
                Outstanding work by the way !
                I may need a few prints.

Comment

Working...
                X