Michelin tire question - XM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michelin tire question - XM

For the W500 project, I have located some "new" Michelin XM + S4 tires in the 9.00X20 size.
    I am familiar with the XL's and XZL's but not the XM's.
    The tread pattern looks to me like the XL's but with a slightly smaller block.
    Does anyone have any experience with these tires?
    I am going to ask the seller what the date code is.
    Thanks

michelin xms

I have a set of XMLs but have not heard of XMs. Is there a site that you know of that has a picture or pictures of these tires?
    You may be interested in this pdf from MIchelin. http://www.tiregroup.com/Catalogs/PD...s/Michelin.pdf
    DavidGB

Comment

Thanks,
      I dug a little deeper. These are apparently (new) retreads. The man that has them wants $175 each.
      The interesting thing to me was that Michelin's retread warranty is "for the life of the tread", it does not mention the age of the tire.
      With the information out now about radials and degradation after 6 years, this confused me. I thought that radials older than 6 years old should be avoided, yet the warranty does not mention this?

Comment

Michelin XM + S4

I don't know much about tire aging. You probably need to talk with your local Commercial Michelin tire dealer about that. I would have thought that if Michelin would go ahead and retread a tire that it implies they think the tire is in good condition. The exact wording of the warranty should be examined.
        I noticed in trying to find info on the XM that the Unimog crowd often use Michelin XM 47 tires which are a "high speed" Ag tire. In general I find it difficult trying to research Michelin tires as their sites are quite miserable in displaying what is available.
        DavidGB

Comment

i found another sentence on the Michelin site that mentioned 7 years for retreads.
          But, the tech services guy said 10 years for a regular tire, when it is the larger truck tires. I think 6 years is for passenger light truck.
          Anyway, I would think that for my usage in a vintage truck, that perhaps the dating is not as critical as compared to a tire being driven on the interstate, etc. However I am not sure of that.

Comment

Michelin XM + S4

I would agree that you would probably be okay for awhile. Just out of curiosity, what is it about these tires that appeal to you? (No judgement implied.) Also, if I understand it correctly, the XM + S4 designation refers to a retread tread pattern and not an original tire. What tires would these retreads be put on and do you know that about the ones you are considering purchasing?
            DavidGB

Comment

I have not decided absolutely on Michelins, but its hard to find other brand names in these sizes that are not NDT. Or they are made in China.
              I am concerned about the quality control with the Chinese tires.
              I have power kings on my flatfender (I wrote an article recently in PWA). I had to have them trued because they were not very round. They were made in Mexico and China.
              I have heard good things about the Michelins, but am a little concerned about the age of the 11X20's i found, and do not know the age of the tire carcass on the 9X20 retreads yet, a good point you made.
              I would prefer the 11X20's over the 9X20's as they are slightly taller thus helping with my top end speed with the stock W500 gearing which is low.
              The stock tires were the 9X20.

Comment

Here's a couple 20" choices.

Not much out there. Lots of 19.5's.

https://www.bfentirenet.com/product_...0&partial=true

http://www.goodyeartrucktires.com/ti...rodline=161006

http://www.goodyeartrucktires.com/ti...rodline=160923

Comment

Working...
                X