No announcement yet.

59 W 100 bracketry,belts and pulleys !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59 W 100 bracketry,belts and pulleys !!

O.K; right side Poly V8 manifold is cracked,finding a good manifold is not an easy task,so,here`s where I am starting.

I purchased a right side manifold from a 62 or so pickup along with the alternator mounting brackets.
    Aligning the pulleys is being a challenge,easy on the bracket as that is accomplished with spacers,I pulled the hub outwards on the waterpump to get that pulley closer to alignment with the Harmonic Balancer,they are still off a bit so I`ll try one of My resources Monday to see if there just may be a shallower H.B.pulley available,if not,then a shallower waterpump pulley by about the width of the V groove.
    The newer style Poly V8 alternator bracket fits to the waterpump just fine.
    I will drill the front side of the right head in the Boss area with two holes and thread the holes,then it will be a piece of flat and bolt that to the bracket on the back top side,mark flat to align with the holes in the head and it should be a good to go kind of a thing,I think.

001.JPG

002.JPG

I see the reasoning for the new brackets but wonder why the upper and lower pulleys don't align. If they are original there shouldn't be a problem. Is that a Generous Motors alternator? Hope it works out.

Comment

Yup,General motors alternator.I will be trading that out for a 100 AMP rebuilt.
      The pickup no longer has the original engine,the guy I sold the pickup to back in then,run the rods out,He then found an engine form out of a truck of some sort,I`m thinking it was at least a D300 or possibly bigger truck,It was a farm "Stock Truck" from what He told Me,the kind with the Omaha stock rack and houst bed is what I`m guessing as those are/were the most popular in this area for many a year.
      When My son and I went out to get the pickup I asked Him if He still had the original engine to which He replied"No". Dang,that engine had the good right side manifold and all the proper pulleys and had but only about 60,000 miles or less on it.

Comment

I've got a poly 318 from a Plymouth that may have the pulley you need. measure the diameter and backspacing. And no it doesn't have the exhaust manifold you had/need. Hindsight is always 20/20 sorry to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron in Indiana View Post
          I've got a poly 318 from a Plymouth that may have the pulley you need. measure the diameter and backspacing. And no it doesn't have the exhaust manifold you had/need. Hindsight is always 20/20 sorry to say.
          I`ll be going to visit a guy,possibly today,that may have a pulley or ninety.LOL I`ll see what He has and if there is no possible combos I`ll get back with You.
          I thank You for the offer and also for this forum that brings us all closer together on the vehicles that We enjoy so much.
          When I die and go to Heaven,I pray there is some rusty old automobiles to work on when We get there.LOL ; )

Comment

There is no rust in heaven.

Comment

There is no rust in heaven.
              OHHHhhh,what,no sanding,no priming nor painting????

Comment

Sanding, priming, masking and painting are in that "other place". LOL Especially the sanding.

Comment

Sanding, priming, masking and painting are in that "other place". LOL Especially the sanding.
                  ALLLL Right,I`m ready.
                  Now back to the regularly scheduled topic.
                  I cut the piece of steel for the backbrace,3"X1/4" and clamped it to the newer alternator bracket,marked where the holes needs to be and drilled.
                  Then I drilled the boss`s in the front of the right side head and tapped them to 3/8ths national course.
                  A couple of grade eight bolts with the heads clipped off then sharpened them to a nice point,kind of like a centering punch,then screwed those into the fresh holes in the head,then,installed the flat 3" onto the alternator bracket and tapped the flat against the centering bolts,ahha,now I have it marked for drilling and have done so,so now,I needs to git to the garage and do some shaping of the back plate and maby take a pic. or three for to post in here.

Comment

The sawed off grade eight bolts,then ground to a point for centering holes to be drilled in the back brace.

[ATTACH]7592[/ATTACH]

Back brace drilled and bolted into place,a bit of trim work and it`ll look like something from the factory.LOL
                    Those centering bolts were spot on.

[ATTACH]7593[/ATTACH]

Cut in the rib and straightened the tensioner brace to be flat,then cut across to add in a piece of angle to get the alignment right for the alternator.

[ATTACH]7594[/ATTACH]

Comment

Welp,there it is,I do`nt have the belt yet but I did try putting downwards pressure on the alternator and it seemed like the angle of the dangles was going to hold just fine.
                      Not too bad for as bad as it is,I do hope this helps out some of the Power Giant V8 owners that cant come up with a suitable method of mounting an alternator when they are having cracked Right side exhaust manifold problems.

[ATTACH]7595[/ATTACH]

Comment

Working...
                      X