No announcement yet.

Late night and cabin fever ponderings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late night and cabin fever ponderings.

Sitting here thinking I should actually work on the ol' '57 W100. Lack of sleep and cabin fever may have something to do with it.

My '57 has a 315 Poly with a Stromberg WW. Not too concerned about originality, as I can change it back easily. Was thinking of some things to up the reliability:

Carburetor:
    Rebuild the Stromberg
    Pro: I have the Stromberg
    Con: old-style, loose carb and hard to find parts, oil-bath

Replace the Stromberg with Rochester 2Jet / DualJet
    Pro: basically primary side of Quadrajet, excellent carb, good mileage
    Con: need carb, not original

Replace the Stromberg with Autolite 2100
    Pro: no leakage from 1-piece body, excellent carb, good mileage
    Con: need carb, not original

The Stromberg WW base plate mounting pattern is 3-1/4 X 1-7/8.

Also thinking of changing the distributor to electronic. A Pertronix would be good, but I like HEI. Extended oil pump rod from Hot Hemi Heads and 318 electronic distributor that I can convert to HEI. Can get HEI modules anywhere.

Going to change the brake master cylinder to dual chamber and re-plumb. A bit of safety wouldn't hurt.

Dealing with split-ring wheels are a pain! What other wheels will fit the 16" 6 X 7-1/4 bolt pattern with fairly stock offset. The centers are riveted to the rim and have been having weird thoughts of knocking out the center and welding them into a late 16" safety bead rim. Welding poorly is scary, as is not straight.

The transmission is an SM420. Great transmission, but how about a 5-speed with overdrive; not a Clark or SM5xx, but a later model transmission. Probably a half-ton model. Does the 315 Poly bellhousing use an LA-style bolt-pattern? Will probably have to make a new driveshaft to the transfer case.

Maybe it is just late at night, but these have been going through my mind. Who knows, Moab is a couple of weeks away, maybe I'll get cracking and take it over for Safari.

Thoughts? Ideas?

I have never found it hard to get parts for a WW, Napa has the kit. I run a Pertronix in my 64 poly 318 and it fires up every time. Dual MC is always a good call. It maybe a little tight getting everything in the original location. As for wheels Dodge offered 17.5 tubeless rims and tires. STA makes 8x17.5 M&S tires. The bellhousing on a 315 will not interchange with a 318. The transmission side of the 315 bell should allow a tranny swap. The other thing with trying to swap a bellhousing would be the clutch linkage. Hope this helps.

Comment

I would urge you to stay with your original type of carburetor, for a variety of reasons. It fits, the linkage works, you have an air filter assembly. Another reason is that one day this truck will be sold, and it will always sell better with the right parts on it.

You say it's loose. You mean the throttle shaft? There are people in the country who can fix that for you, or you can find a used carburetor not having this issue.
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I think I will find another NAPA. The parts dude could not find the carb in the computer, and they do not know how to look things up without it.

The Pertronix would definitely be easier. How are they if the key happens to be left on (without running) for a short time? Have you had to replace any parts of yours?

Interesting thought about the 17.5. I haven't looked very hard, but are there radial, on/off road tires available? Looking for something similar to a Goodyear Wrangler or BFG All-Terrain or the like.

Good point about the bellhousing swap - the mechanical linkage would be interesting to re-configure. Will do some measuring of existing bellhousing depth for input shaft length and such.

Comment

My Napa is THE best, they know their stuff and know how to use the books when needed. I've not had a problem with the Pertronix. It's a lot easier than swapping parts. The only 17.5 tires I know of are bia ply but they are aggressive tread Go to the STA website to see them. I'm just thinking with the bell crank set up on these trucks it may pose a problem hooking up the linkage. Gordon is correct about the throttle shaft fix.

Comment

I definitely miss the days of the parts guy knowing what the best parts are for your vehicle. I always used NAPA in UT, so will have to find an old-school one around here.

Thanks for the STA site. Definitely nice tires.

The carb seems to have issues. The throttle linkage seems to stick on occasion. I can't predict when, sometimes when I come up to a stop it won't idle down or it will continue to rev up. I will then have to stomp the pedal to loosen things up a bit. Had a hard time starting it when hot, too. Thought of adding another return sprin to help it out, but then I'd end up with a giant right calf! I am thinking the throttle shaft may have wallowed out the carb a bit.

I don't have any way to attach the air cleaner to the air horn of the carb. Looks like a clamp is used to attach it. It is missing. Ideas where to get another?

Have you had to ever replace any Pertronix parts? Wondering about access to parts in small towns. What spare parts, if any, do you carry?

Comment

Is it the carb linkage or the linkage from the pedal to the carb? It's easy enough to tell if your throttle shaft holes are worn. Hard starting when warm could be other issues. The air cleaner clamp isn't real hard to come by try VPW or post asking for the part if anyone has one. I'd fix you up but I don't have any spares. I've had my Pertronix for 8-9 years now with no issues other than I had a wire to close to the cam lobe. The insulation wore through and it grounded out the spark, a simple fix with some tape. You can always keep your points and condenser with you if that would help. The conversion is reversable. Other than that a ballast resistor is all I carry. The STA's are a good tire beyond that I don't know what else is out there in a half size.

Comment

I'm glad the Pertronix is a simple swap. I'll keep the points and condenser and a book of matches in the glove box.

I will dig around under the hood and see if it the pedal linkage or the carb linkage.

Comment

It really is a simple deal and they have good instructions. I did mine in the truck without pulling the distributor. A little lube or check of worn linkage may put you right again.

Comment

I have had that same throttle issue on my '58, and it was definitely the pedal linkage. Lubrication would help for a while, but I eventually put on a new spring and that seems to have cured it. I believe Toyo or Yokahama makes a 17.5 radial with a traction tread, look at Rickson Wheels website, they usually have a pretty good selection of what's available in commercial sizes.

Comment

Working...
                    X