1957 PG serial #1 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 PG serial #1 project

I have undertaken the finish work on Dave Butler's 1957 W 200 PG that is serial #1. His crew worked on it and had it painted last year just before the rally. Dave contacted me last fall about finishing the truck. It needs the interior done and some minor body work plus the engine bay detailed. Today with the help of my friend Jerry Johnson, we removed the front clip and doors. Once the front end sheet metal was off we could see that the driver's side frame is bent and is racked. This will mean a trip to the frame shop to have it pulled back into spec. The guys at VPW couldn't get anything to align so now we know why. We also have the bed ready to lift off the frame to make measuring easier. I will work on the doors and front clip while the chassis is out.

How many does that make for Rally25

Ron, how many trucks are you introducing at the Rally? I'm hoping to get 1 done, and best as I can count, looks like 2 or 3 for you,if we don't count your rebuilt Cummins! Guess I won't pick on Gordon too much! Doug

Comment

Hopefully two with Jerry's 58 and serial # 1. With the day job being slow I've got more time to work on trucks but that may change too. I'll have my hands full getting these out. Jerry said not to worry about his but we'll see. It's like it was when I was in 4-H as a kid trying to finish projects before the fair.

Comment

I removed the wing vents and window glass from both doors today. Sanded the doors and found dents that need attention. The previous paint job leaves a lot to be desired, they didn't paint the bottom of the doors.

Comment

Update

I found that the frame of this truck was sprung from a hit on the driver's side. A trip to the frame shop made it all right again. The front clip was hurt also when it was hit and I had to tear it apart. The inner fenders were folded a bit but rather than spend the time working them over I have a better set to use from another 57. I hope I can get the fenders and header panel lined up again with this damage.

Comment

For my followers out there

Latest update. The front header panel was worse that expected. It's had more face work than Joan Rivers. I've got this and the front fenders straightened out and primed. I've been working on my to do list and have knocked off several items on the list. The extra dash holes are welded shut, the engine, firewall and frame are painted. The embossed tailgate is looking much better. The rear window problem is repaired so the back glass will fit now. With the frame lined up so is the cab in relation to the pedals. I will block sand the fenders then prime them and the doors tomorrow. Still trying to find headliner board wide enough to make one. I have a 57 headliner for a pattern but the board I've used on the 58-59 trucks isn't wide enough. I need 42" wide but the board I use is only 39". Here's a link to my pictures of the project http://rides.webshots.com/album/582654693yVlCVm

Comment

keep the photos coming

where do you draw the line of "good enough". i'm guessing a person could drive themselves crazy fixing minute details.

Comment

Well therein lies the rub, how far do you go? Do you want a 30 footer, a 10 footer or do you want it right? I do the best I can with what I have to work with. These aren't Pebble Beach Concours vehicles but you want a nice straight panel with a good paint job. I'm not the best bodyman in the world but I give it all I've got. So far the trucks I've been involved with have turned out to the satisfaction of the owners. Now if I could only get a certain crew cab painted and sent home.

Comment

What a shock....deja-vu.

my first pickup was a '57 Dodge 2WD that could have been that trucks double. Started out green like that one and I painted it Ford "Grabber Blue", almost the same as that one is now. Really enjoyed that truck.
                  315 w/ 435 trans, I need to keep that link to see the engine compartment. Your webshots won't let me download the engine compartment pix. And I don't want to sign up for anything else..LOL.

Really sweet, thanks
                  DrPepper

Comment

The truck was originally Valley Green but was repainted Desert Turquoise with Sand Dune White accent. I painted the engine and accessories so I'll try to post some pictures so you can see it. Are you still needing that steering shaft? I've got one cut with a whole column. 59redtruck(at)frontier.com

Comment

Hi Ron.....

"If it isn't one thing, it's another". Way behind schedule for the '57. Yes, I still would like to get a doner steering shaft, and wheel. Last week it was kids cars all broke down, this week the garage door spring broke Friday and left my wife to use the "Extra Dakota" that she doesn't like.

The engine/trans is sitting in the frame on a 2x4 close to where it is going to go.

I'll PM you
                      Thanks,
                      DrPepper

Comment

This one is getting under my skin

I never thought when I first looked this project over that it would turn into a PITA. It started out as a 30 footer. I've beat, twisted, tweeked, welded. filled and sanded this thing and it's still fighting me. Trying to get the hole to fit the door on the passenger side. There is just enough damage that is unnoticeable until I start lining things up to throw things out of shape. The hood was another one, the edge wouldn't line with the fender. I cut, pulled and welded it into shape so it now fits. I wish I'd had another front clip after all of this. Down to final prime and sand before paint goes on. Then a dash to reassembly and off to the rally.

Comment

Pictures man! Some of us are new at this and dying to see whats going on!

Comment

Pictures? Who's got time for pictures? yeah I know I've fallen behind on those and need to take some. It's really crazy around here right now but I'll see what I can do.

Comment

I'm finished and it's loaded for Iowa

The 57 project is finished and loaded for it's trip home to Iowa. My first base coat clear coat paint job went well. Not as nerve racking as I thought. The headliner turned out great thanks to an original used for a pattern. I will be offering new headliners for sale after the rally. I will post pictures of the 57 when I get back. I always let the owner see the trucks first hand.

Comment

Working...
                              X