Town Wagon Revelations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Town Wagon Revelations

So my '61 is actually a '66! Progress point #1!!! I got the new starter this morning and just dropped it in. Turn the key and the truck turns over and starts! Progress point #2!!! New problem is that I put a new 6 post keyed ignition switch (original switch was 4 post) in it as I didn't have a key when I got the truck. When I turn the key all the way, the truck turns fires and runs, but when I release the key, the truck dies. I'm guessing this has something to do with "IGN 1" and "IGN 2" on the new switch (old switch just had "IGN" where the brown wire connected.) On the new switch, brown wire is connected to IGN 2 but nothing on IGN 1. Red and Black wires both connected to BAT, Orange wire connected to ST. Switch is grounded to bolt on dashboard.
    Not sure what I'm missing. Any ideas to help troubleshoot????

I'll post pics shortly to help illustrate.

You have a resistor in the circuit...

...to the coil. The ignition key should be circuited for a start and run position. The start position has a bypass to the points for a boost during cold weather, ect. The run position goes thru the resistor so the points last longer and will run just fine with a lower power to them. Older / other models would use the starter relay with an extra post that provided the direct power to the coil without going thru the switch.

At least that is my assesment of your question.
    I had a '66 and regretted selling it the day after I let it go.
    DrPepper

Comment

Working...
    X