Working smarter, not harder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working smarter, not harder

Since I've been doing so many restorations of PG trucks I got tired of moving doors around the shop. I came on this idea of making a door tree from some material I bought at an auction. It works great and no problem moving the doors now. Painting the doors was a breeze. The color is Sahara Beige. I added this to my cab rotisserie that is a must for making life so much easier in the shop. The mounts are old door hinges at the front and a piece of 1/4"x 2" strap steel at the rear jamb using an existing hole on the inside of the jamb. The center pivot is 2" pipe with an adjustable mount to balance the cab. Taking one step further I made some stands to support the bed for painting. I used 4 old 16.5 rims and some 1" square tube for uprights. A little welding and I can now paint the bed off the frame with nothing in the way.
    Attached Files

Looks great, good moves as always!
    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

I Like it! I am going to be building a Rotisserie for my WC53 I think. I gotta have a better way to move this thing around when the time comes to really get working on it.
      1942 WC53 Carryall in progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Alxj64 View Post
        I Like it! I am going to be building a Rotisserie for my WC53 I think. I gotta have a better way to move this thing around when the time comes to really get working on it.
        There is no better way to work on a cab than this set up. I painted the firewall and bottom of the cab like I was painting a wall. The dash is next and will be easy too. The bodywork on the roof was so simple being able to have it right at eye level while standing on the floor. I used material I had lying around the shop except for the casters which were the most I spent on each project. Just be sure to get locking casters and heavy enough rating for the job.

Comment

Looks like the hot setup for working on Power Giants, very clever!

Comment

RE: Working Smarter not Harder

Love the set-up Ron. Awesome. The best part is that my 57 gets to benefit from your cool work smarter campaign.

Comment

The only thing is I have to drill new holes for the 57 doors. They have 4 bolts per hinge the later trucks have three. Not a problem I was anticipating that when I built this stuff. Hoping to paint soon and get this 58 back together. I installed a brake booster today and had to run new lines. It didn't have one before so I got into some fab work.

Comment

Great work!
                Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Looks like you bolted the hinge mount bars to the upright? Good thinking as you can adjust it for different setups, vertically. I used wood on mine and have to drill holes but yours is nicer.

Ain't it nice to be able to move stuff around by yourself with ease? Let alone being able to work on it in a comfortable position. I'll second the fact that it is WELL worth the effort to make this stuff for just the ease it'll afford you. Let alone the safety aspect.

Comment

Kevin, actually I welded the cross bars to the pipe figuring I mostly do PG's. I could cut the bottom one loose if needed and reweld or use a muffler clamp type arrangement. The ease of moving things, having them at eye level to work on them and most important not risking damage to the parts especially when painted. The rotisserie is the best thing to have if a person only has so much room. I've done it the other way and I won't go back.

Comment

Jig made to move doors while working on them

Hello Ron i like what you came up with for working on doors, i have a question about work i am doing on my 67 truck and would apperiate if you could send me your e-mail address. Thank You Rick Walker.

Comment

Rick my address is 59redtruck(at)frontier.com of course remove the (at). I'll help as much as I can with questions.

Comment

Working...
                        X