Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NP 420 Swap? 57 (D300) Is there a modern alternative?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NP 420 Swap? 57 (D300) Is there a modern alternative?

WOuld love to get rid of the granny 1st (I know sacrilege) in favor of 4 usable gears or even 5- is there an easy answer?

I know that there are companies that make bell housing adapters and I am not afraid to have to move the shift lever back a bit if need be. It would make all the difference in driving this thing to have a more user friendly trans though.

Maybe a way to replace the rings in my current trans?

no adapters are available that I know of. only 3rd and 4th have synchros so using second requires no clutch and double clutch shifting. I like the NP 420 as it is very reliable. no weak synchros to fail. the 2nd gear on the NP 435s and GM adn BW trannies is the first one to go. there was NP540 5 speeds that fit in Dodges but if you have the mechanical clutch finding one to fit that bell housing might take a while. they were all direct drive 5th gear no overdrives. It would be nice I think. the NP 540 I think only has synchros in 3rd thru 5th. I have never had a truck with one but an old business partner had a 413 powered 1 ton with the NP 540 and he loved it for towing. YOu can find the 5 speeds in the D400-600. I think the 700 and up trucks used bigger trannies like clarkes and spicers.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaegi View Post
      no adapters are available that I know of. only 3rd and 4th have synchros so using second requires no clutch and double clutch shifting. I like the NP 420 as it is very reliable. no weak synchros to fail. the 2nd gear on the NP 435s and GM adn BW trannies is the first one to go. there was NP540 5 speeds that fit in Dodges but if you have the mechanical clutch finding one to fit that bell housing might take a while. they were all direct drive 5th gear no overdrives. It would be nice I think. the NP 540 I think only has synchros in 3rd thru 5th. I have never had a truck with one but an old business partner had a 413 powered 1 ton with the NP 540 and he loved it for towing. YOu can find the 5 speeds in the D400-600. I think the 700 and up trucks used bigger trannies like clarkes and spicers.
      The 540 is in 2-5.
      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
        The 540 is in 2-5.
        ok thanks, did it exist in 57? before the hydraulic bellhousings? I know that NP had a 5 speed before the 540 that had non synchro 1-2

Comment

I meant to say" there are no e NP540 OD trannies that fit the Dodges. Some say they exist but I dont believe it. Maybe way later but my books dont show any OD trannies until you get into tthe bigger rigs.

Comment

I have a 540 overdrive that came out of a Studebaker. It is the same sheet metal look that Stude had in 1957. Do a Google image search for 1957 Studebaker truck.

I have been told that Dodge used 540 OD transmissions in some school buses. My Stude transmission was made to fit the Dodge by switching out the input shaft and output flange. The OD trans had a different input and cluster gear than the direct. So, they were certainly made for Dodge applications. The truck salvage yard guy who assembled my transmission said they were used by Ford, Chevy, IH, Dodge, and Studebaker.

Comment

Check the prices....

http://www.heavytruckparts.net/searc...SS&Model=NP540

Comment

Hey Gordon, I know they made them but my newest Dodge book is 62 and shows no NP540 OD only the direct drive. the Dodge book shows OD in clark trannies though. lots of chevies had the OD version. just never seen one in a Dodge and the book doesnt list they were available except in direct drive. Maybe in the PG era they offered it only to drop it for many years?

Comment

I have no definitive information regarding year applications, but if they made the shafts and related parts, they must have been using them somewhere.

Comment

Overdrive is a bandaid....

To get it right you change the differential gearing to what you need, then the T-case runs at a speed that is going to let it last.
                    ...my $0.02
                    DrPepper

Comment

Gordon,
                      The prices you show, they are for the normal, not the OD version?
                      $1600, wow.

Comment

It does not say, so I am inclined to believe these are fifth direct. I suspect a company like that could supply od versions.

Comment

Look into the NP445 4spd?
                          John

Comment

We used to sell some 445 instead of the 435, it was a nice shifting trans.
                            I don't recall there was any trouble w/ it either

Comment

Take a look at the nv3500.

Comment

Working...
                              X