57 W100 Rear drum, questions, alternates and availablity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 W100 Rear drum, questions, alternates and availablity

I was talking with a local gentleman north of me, who is quite knowledgable about PW's, he suggested changing my current W100 axle (semi floating w/brake drum that refuses to come apart) for a '58>? W200 full floating axle. Same bolt pattern 6X5/8" x 7.25" circle, but not a tapered axle.
    The question is, are brake drums available for the W200 full floating axles? I've looked, and so far found nothing. Local NAPA (good store and they have been helpful) said no listing. Any other leads for these drums, 6X5/8" bolt 7.25" circle? No listing on VPW parts page either.
    I finally got a can of "CRC Freeze Off" to try. Been reading up on it and seems like if I heat up the assembly then try to spray the axle with it while the puller is tight. That might give it the best advantage.
    Day job, other commitments and weather are keeping me from working on the '57 as often as I want.
    Thanks,
    DrPepper

I tried Rock Auto which didn't have a listing so I doubt you'll find drums. I have no idea where you'd find a set. Keep trying on the yours and hope they worth saving after all this trouble. The closest I have are eight lug front and rear axles out of a 60 W100 PG. The front needs rebuilt I know for sure the rear I don't know it's condition. 4:10 gears.

Comment

Might have a source for an axle

There is a yard not too far from me that has an axle with the 6 lug drums with the tapered axles. it's been sitting for possibly 30 years, so it may not come apart either.
      I have a complete full float dually axle housing from a '59, minus the diff, it you can find a 8 3/4 4.10 Diff?
      Leon

Comment

Working...
      X