58 & 60 TownWagons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58 & 60 TownWagons

I recently picked up two TW's for a new client. One is a highly optioned 1958 W100 Town Wagon. It has a 315 with automatic transmission, winch, power steering, custom interior, stainless trim,hood fin and roof mounted factory AM radio. The truck is rough around the edges but I believe I can save it. It's also tow toned white over Ranch Brown.

The second in a 1960 under partial restoration. It too has a winch, stainless trim, hood fin, 19.5 wheel and is tagged and badges as a W200. The data tag is stamped W200 meaning it's one of the ultra rare 3/4 ton rated Townies. No engine but I'll assume it was a 318 with a 4 speed which is in the rear of the truck. Both of these trucks need to be restored and hopefully we can accomplish that. I can't get to them until later this year but they should be quite the projects. The 60 has a very nice body in primer.
    Attached Files

Congratulations...!!!

Now we can both look for obsolete brake drums...LOL
    DrPepper

Comment

Originally posted by DrPepper View Post
      Now we can both look for obsolete brake drums...LOL
      DrPepper
      I'm hoping they come off easier than yours and don't need replacing. The automatic is missing but we have a lead on one in CA. The full headliner is still in the truck a little worse for wear but it'll make a great pattern. I've only seen one other TW with a factory headliner. We made one for ours and it was not fun.

Comment

When you open the back door....

does it have a metal bracket at the top that limits the door travel...???
        I have the stupid straps at the bottom and they are one step above useless. I really want the dimensions for the metal door stops. My old '66 had the good ones and they worked perfect. Two bracket arms, one pivots to a stop and the other slides to the limit of the door travel.

Oh, well, gotta get it on the road first.
        DrPepper

Comment

The high option 58 is pretty neat, most trucks were trucks were used for no nonsense work back in the day. The Loadflite is a great option must be pretty rare I've only heard of one other a pickup with the auto. It was a 58 a couple years ago on ebay I bid on unsucessfully. I don't remember what happened to it but I hope it is progressing towards a new life.

Comment

eBay Loadflite

I bought one with Loadflite on eBay about 7 years ago. Was the one you bid on a 58 W100 painted valley green/beige? If so, Ron and I have been doing a full frame off restoration on it that should be done in a couple months. The W100's with Loadflite are indeed few and far between. They may have been a bit more common in Town Wagons than pickups, I know of three 58 W100 TW with Loadflite transmissions.

Jerry J.

Comment

Yes, I'm so glad it's being restored, it was located in NE wasn't it? How were the mechanics of it, as I remember the front drive shaft was disconnected? I hope to see pctures of that awesome truck. There aren't a lot of 2 tones either. Good luck on an exciting truck

Comment

Actually, it was in SD close to the NE border. The engine was in excellent condition, just needed new timing chain and gear set. The front drive shaft was in place but bent a bit, we replaced it with a new one. The transmission was toast, truck had been towed without dropping the rear drive shaft, so the planetaries were destroyed as well as many other internal parts. Had it rebuilt to new specs. I wanted the whole truck to be in "as new" condition so all systems were gone through. New radiator and heater cores, fuel system, brakes,steering and so forth. The truck was rust free since it was a WYO and SD truck but the body needed work, too many coyote hunts! Have had a lot of fun helping Ron, he of course, has done most of the work. We will publish before and after pictures when it is done.

Jerry J.

Comment

Jerry and I have had a great time working on the Ranch Hand as we call it. I've never seen a Valley Green truck let alone a two tone with beige. It looks sharp together if I do say so myself. I don't post pictures until a project is done. All the small parts that need cleaning and painted drives you nuts. But it's the details that make or break a restoration. I doubt you'll find another truck like this anywhere. The transmission pod with the push buttons will stump a lot of kids out there today.

Comment

Ron, sent you a PM....

just checking to see if you got it....
                    DrPepper

Comment

I rarely look up there for messages but I saw yours. You should have a reply.

Comment

Sounds like the some of the mechanical is done then. I'm excited to wait for the paint & final restoration. I have a factory 57W100 Ecuador Blue & Sahara Beige so that's maybe why I lean towards 2tones but it reallt sets of the 2 colors. In our town, Dad sold Dodges new I remember 1 58 D100 with single headlights. Keep up the good work

Comment

The mechanicals are done other than hooking up the wiring and getting new exhaust. This truck is an early single headlight W100 truck with the optional body color bumpers and front bumper guards.

Comment

Working...
                          X