58 W100 the Ranch Hand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58 W100 the Ranch Hand

As some of you know I've been restoring a 1958 W100 we call the Ranch Hand. This was a western truck used on a ranch and used hard. We are in the final stages of finishing this project. Today Jerry the owner and myself rewired the tail lights and steering column. The turn signal switch was working when it felt like it so with an NOS switch I replaced the original. Not a fun job but rewarding once the lights worked again. To top off this column was the freshly painted steering wheel in Topaz poly color. This color has a discontinued paint code but with a wheel from a 58 TW my Napa store expert was able to match the color. From everything I found researching this color this is a 1958 only color used just on the steering wheel in a custom cab interior. We're down to the interior, exhaust and details to finish. I will post pictures as soon as I have it done.

Color matching is a great, current-technology thing.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Where did you find your turn signal switch? I have a 58 W200 that needs one and I have not had much luck finding one.

Comment

Jerry got this one probably on eBay. I just saw another one recently. Do a search to see if one pops up. Otherwise you're SOL. If you find one I can give you tips on how to get the wired threaded down the column. I'm assuming you were talking an factory switch under the steering wheel?

Comment

Yes, its the factory switch under the wheel. I'll check E-bay, Thanks

Comment

I received the window channels Friday and had a chance to install them and the side windows tonight. Everything fits great and works just as well. Once the seat is recovered it won't take long to wrap up this project. I have an appointment to get the exhaust done Tuesday after my finals at tech school. Pointy Chops did you get that switch on eBay because somebody got it.

Comment

I got it, but its going take a little while to get here.Should deliver near the end of the month, I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

What is it on a slow boat from China? Pony Express? It's not a fun job getting the wires down the tube which is why you have to separate the outer tube column from the steering box. You loosen the bolt which clamps the column to the box after taking off the steering wheel. Raise the column enough that that the inner tube is below the lower hole the wires come through. Taping a pull wire to the old wires to use to pull the new wires in makes it a lot easier. Also tape the new wires to themselves for easier pulling also. If you get into trouble I'm always checking in here. No need to reinvent the wheel.

Comment

Axles and pinion seals

The other day I filled the front and rear diffs with lube so I could drive onto my trailer for a trip to the muffler shop. While on the trailer I noticed fluid leaking out onto the freshly painted rear wheels. At first I thought it was brake fluid but looking closer I saw it to be gear lube. Yesterday Jerry and I removed the rear axles to inspect the axles seals. This being a tapered axle with out board bearings it has a seal on the outside of the bearing. It also has an inner seal we found after looking at the service manual. My thinking was the gear lube had to flow from the diff housing to lubricate the bearing. Not so evidently since we found grease in the axle tubes behind the bearing once it was out. Jerry also noticed the front and rear pinion seals seeping. A call to my Napa store and the new seals were ordered without a second thought. We were able to read the seal part numbers on the old parts which crossed just fine to Napa numbers. We picked up the parts today for tomorrows day in the shop.

Comment

Working...
                  X