Steering wheel repair article ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CSCameron View Post
    Nice article! You bet it helps. I will be starting my steering wheel resto as soon as I receive my puller. LOL. Probably a week or so before I get it. Hope it comes off without too much of a fight.

Thanks for taking the time to write it. Thanks to Gordon for publishing it.

Clark
    Thanks Clark I hope it turns out for you. You have been soaking that shaft with penetrating oil all this time right? Of course you want to keep the nut on at the top of the threads so you don't mess them up when you do pull it. If you think you have tightened it tight enough give that little bit more and then a sharp smack with a BFH. That pop you'll hear is a beautiful sound when it happens.

Comment

Yep, been soaking for a few days now with PB Blaster. As soon as the puller arrives, I'll give it a go. :)

Comment

Clark,
        Even with the proper puller, I had to hit it with an impact wrench to get enough force to release the wheel. I also soaked the site for several days with penetrant beforehand like most do.
        It is amazing to me how tight the wheel can be on the shaft.
        So, don't be surprised if it requires "persuasion". I have heard it helps to hit the shaft periodically with a hammer (protecting the end).

Comment

Working...
        X