Started on another 58 today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Started on another 58 today

Some of you know I have two 58 PG's from my friend Terry in Iowa that I'm restoring for him. I finally got the second one in the shop today to check it out. This truck was in a fire and the cab is completely burnt out. We have another cab and front clip from a 58 D500 to replace it. This truck has a 315 and a 4 speed so knowing what tough little motors they are my son and I worked to get it running. This truck was a running driving truck before the fire and although it had some fire damage I was confident it would run. We put in a new battery, replaced some wiring and the coil then cleaned the points which gave us spark at the plugs. With a temporary gas can hooked to the carb we were in business. It took a little coaxing but it fired up briefly. We tried again with it running long enough to blow oil from the burnt rubber line to the oil filter. OK we have plenty of oil pressure and with a replacement line installed we hit it again. The carb needs a rebuild but it does run so we at least know that. I tried the clutch and brake pedals to find they both work and the brakes have pressure. Now for the nasty clean out of the cab and get it off the frame. It really was a nice Nebraska truck and will be again. It all takes time and $$$

This project would be the truck at the rear of the trailer. We've all seen how the front truck came out.

I know someone is wondering what it looks like :o)

Comment

Ron, is that the truck I saw out at Terry's last month? I can't believe the engine ran after the heat stroke it went through.

Comment

No that one was actually IN the barn, this one was outside and caught fire. The 58 you saw was Jeff Thomas' truck which he sold to Terry. That one is toast but the one I have can be saved. I've got some work to do but it'll be fine since the donor cab is a western truck too in very nice shape. The biggest headache will be removing the diamond plate from the bed that is welded in place over the old wood floor. Looks like 90 + spot welds to drill out to replace the bed angles, been there done that.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sret43 View Post
          Ron, is that the truck I saw out at Terry's last month? I can't believe the engine ran after the heat stroke it went through.
          That would have been this truck... I still say this would make a great Mud/Trail truck. We don't need no stinking paint or glass ;o)

Comment

drilling out 90+ spot welds.............I feel your pain........good luck with "Crispy"....haha

Comment

My son and I got the cab and front off the truck today so we could check out the underside. Looks pretty good so far but will need a slip yoke on the front driveshaft and U joints. Once we get it steamed off it will really tell the story. One thing about this and other PG's I've torn down are the fine thread bolts. They were used at 99% of all connections and I only twisted one head off at the inner fender panel. It seems to me one or two factors come into play. These are very good grade bolts to start with and the fine threads don't gather rust as badly as do the coarse threads. Has anyone else noticed this? Maybe it's just from being Nebraska trucks with no salt on the roads in winter.

As for the bed floor, it seems they drop a piece of diamond plate on top of the wood floor and welded 1/2" angle to the side of the bed. A lot of grinding to cut the welds which are continuous beads of cuss then I'll be able to tell if the spot weld bit comes out. Either way it's not going to be fun. The bedsides are in good shape except for that but I can't get the bed off with out cutting the bolts off from underneath. They also welded it to the rear cross member at the tailgate too.

"Crispy" I kind of like that.

Comment

Pieter,
                Everytime I see an "after the fire photo", of my old PG, it just makes me sad.
                I wonder if any of the body parts could be salvaged. They were all very rust-free.
                Jeff

Comment

I was going to put a disclaimer for you to not look ;o)

I keep trying to get Ron to bring it home and make a trail truck instead of beating up Sandy (Town wagon).

I mean all the major parts are there. They might be a little warped from the heat, but it looks like a truck, smells a little crispy, but would still function once a few things are replaced...

How's the Trailduster coming along?

Pieter

Comment

It has not moved since I unloaded it. I have just been too busy to start on it. I just got the use of a large warehouse. So, I plan on moving the Trailduster inside pretty soon.
                    Jeff

Comment

Unfortunately, I know what you mean. Mine sits in the same spot since fall of 2005 :o( Although it's pretty buried now. Ron and Kevin can attest to that.

I got busy with my side business in late fall of 2005 and in March of 2006 I was no longer employed. Turned my side business into full income. June of 2006 graduated with an Associates. This past June 2008 I graduated with a Bachelors in Business Administration. Here it is now fall of 2008. And for the most part, I'm fairly busy with my business, although the first half of this year was a killer...

Juggling being self employed and watching every dime and going to college has put a real crimp on truck building. I've settled to live Vicariously through my Dodge family with you, Ron, Terry, Andrew, Will & Roger :o) it's turned out to be much cheaper, though not much fun with trail rides.

I'm crossing my fingers that maybe this winter something will happen.

Comment

Sorry, somehow double post.
                        I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                        Will
                        WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                        1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                        1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                        1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                        2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Pieter,

Keep the chin up and find us a place near you to invade and ride. I'm still hoping to make this year a 4 or 5 trip year. And based on what you are doing with the Trailduster, it will be a killer when it's done.
                          I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                          Will
                          WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                          1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                          1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                          1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                          2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

As you probably have found out by now, once you have your own business, the work never ends. However, I could never go back to punching the time clock for someone else. I love owning my own business.
                            Maybe we should have a contest to see who can do the "LEAST", on their Trailduster by next summer.
                            Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff in N.Tx. View Post
                              Maybe we should have a contest to see who can do the "LEAST", on their Trailduster by next summer.
                              Jeff
                              I'll pass on that contest. I'd really like to take it to Iowa...

And yeah, I love having my own business except so many bosses ;o)
                              But it also allows me to jump in a vehicle to meet up with Ron and take a Road trip East or West...

Comment

Working...
                              X