another np540 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another np540 question

so i have a 1967 dodge d200 crewcab longbed that was converted to 4x4 using a 71 chevy k20 disk brake dana 44 and a divorced np-201 transfer case. and theres a '71 360 engine in it.

and i have the np435 transmission and theres a small driveshaft in between my transmission and transfer case thats about 1.5 feet long.

i wanna know how hard it would be to swap my transmission to a np540 5spd.

i know that the bigger trans isnt too much longer, and its pretty compact for a 5 speed, but i do not know much about this transmission.

where should i look to get one, how much would i expect to pay, and if i found a used one in some random dump truck, would it be bad if i swapped it in without rebuilding it first?

also, does it have a regular 23 spline input shaft that would fit into my stock 11inch clutch disk just like the np435 one does? and would it mate up to my bellhousing? i know this tranny came behind small blocks, i seen a w500 truck with a poly 318 and it had a np540.

i really like the ultra deep 1st gear on this trans, and the fact that many of them come with a 4.05:1 2nd gear and a 1:1 5th gear which would be perfect for me since i have 35's and a 4.10 rear end. and i like the idea of having a "short 4th" gear for highway passing.

I have a 57 NP540 that i paid $200 for, hard to find though. It seems in good shape so I will install and see how it works before I rebuild. It came from a D500 farm truck with a side dump and so probably low miles. I took off the brake drum and flange and replaced it with a yoke (see below) and the rear retainer still has the e-brake mounts on it. I had to have the yoke honed slightly. The combo U-joint fits the yoke in one direction and my old drive shaft in the other. This combo joint may be hard to find. I have a 64 TWPW. The NP540 has a 1.38" dia. 10 spline and the NP435 has a 1" dia. 10 spline (on mine anyway), so you need to change the clutch. Most Poly truck bells are drilled for 3,4 and 5 spds... mine is. A poly bell should fit an LA block, well I think. Check the length of the input shaft. They both have a .75 pilot shaft. I don't know if a 71 bell would be drilled for a 540... I suspect not. You will have to get the 'Jack shaft' shortened. Look for 540s in D400-700, school buses dump trucks etc. I have 33.5 and 4.10s and got this for towing in the mountains. Direct in 5th too. It's like a close ratio 4spd with the 7.41 granny. I got all this stuff at Drive Train Industries in Denver. Gar

U-joint Back of NP540 to stock 1306-1 Dana spicer Combo / Drive Train Ind. SN5-353X 1 $19.33
    Yoke For NP540 Dana spicer / Drive Train Ind. 2-4-7181-1 1-3/8 Output Shaft 1 $73.02
    Hone of Inside splnes for yoke & spacer Drive Train Ind. Labor 1/32” / 1/16 total Dia. $20.00
    Yoke Straps for above spicer Combo / Drive Train Ind. SN2-70-18X 1 $4.24
    Trans seals, output shaft For NP540 Chicago Rawhide / Drive Train Ind. CR 21103 1 $18.71
    Trans seals, output shaft For NP540 BCA/NATIONAL 6879H $24.79
    Shaft 2.125", Bore 2.875", OD 2.879", Width 0.375"
    Trans seals, input shaft For NP540 ? 1 $5.92?
    Trans seals, input shaft For NP540 BCA/NATIONAL / www.rockauto.com 7412S $6.25
    Shaft 1.25", Bore 1.75", OD 1.754", Width 0.25”
    Alignment tool NP540 input shaft Pioneer Inc. / Drive Train Ind. DT TAT5325 1-3/8 10 spline 1 $3.20
    Trans Rear Oil Seal for NP435/445 1969-71 CC# 2205080, NAPA# 15620, SKF# 15620
    Oil Seal/Nitrile/Shaft Size=1.25" Housing Bore=1.75" Outer Dia=1.754" Width=0.25"

You can also use a 12" clutch.

Clutch disc 1” 10 spline (W100 / NP420) Borg & Beck 12944 11” 1 NA
    Clutch disc 1.380” spline (W300) Borg & Beck 12559 11” 1 NA
    Pressure plate Borg & Beck 1433 11” 1 NA
    Clutch disc 1.380” 10 spline Borg & Beck / NAPA 13363 / RCF586 12” 1 NA
    Pressure plate Borg & Beck / NAPA 1575 / CA1733 12” 1 NA
    beware that the actual clutch diameter is 11.87", not 12.00"!!

Comment

well thanks a lot. so my LA-318 bellhousing woudlnt work with that transmission? or would it?

Comment

ok disregard that last comment.

i forgot to mention that i have the stock bell housing for my 67 truck. its the hydraulic bellhousing for a la-318 engine. and i hear that that bell should work.

and from what ive gathered, all i really need is the 11 inch clutch disk with the 10 spline 1.38 input dia. if i wanted to re-use my pressure plate.

and im under the impression they make 12inch and 13inch clutch packs to go with that.

however, i looked up those part numbers on the napa site, and i couldnt find anything. even in the parts catalog all that came up was alternators with a similiar part number.

where the **** do i go to find a clutch? is there some magical medium duty truck website? googled every dodge truck that would come with that clutch, went to many truck parts websites, checked all napa and kragen and autozone and summit racing, websites unless i am missing something...

didnt the nv-4500 5 speed have a 10 spline clutch with a 1 3/8 diameter?

Comment

I would take the Borg & Beck and Napa PN#s to parts stores and find an old guy with old parts books. The web is not the end all and usually don't cover anything earlier than 1970. Try a Truck Tranny shop, Drive Train shop or a Dodge dealer even... A knowledgeable guy at parts found me the 'last' drag link for my 64 TWPW! Gar

Search for D500-600 truck parts

Comment

Originally posted by CO Gary View Post
            I would take the Borg & Beck and Napa PN#s to parts stores and find an old guy with old parts books. The web is not the end all and usually don't cover anything earlier than 1970. Try a Truck Tranny shop, Drive Train shop or a Dodge dealer even... A knowledgeable guy at parts found me the 'last' drag link for my 64 TWPW! Gar

Search for D500-600 truck parts
            that website has done me good in the past - its found me decent parts for my '67 truck.

however, i know what you mean.

and yeah ive heard about the clutch actual diameters. i dont want the 11.87 clutch, really i just want an 11 inch clutch disk with the 1.38 diameter 10 spline and keep my pressure plate until it really falls apart after a few years and then ill just get a brand new clutch kit.

Comment

One other thing. my 540 input shaft is shorter than the 435. It came from a 57 with mechanical clutch. It bearly engages the pilot bearing, so I'm told I need an extended pilot bearing. G

Comment

One other thing. my 540 input shaft is shorter than the 435. It came from a 57 with mechanical clutch. It bearly engages the pilot bearing, so I'm told I need an extended pilot bearing. G
                ill keep that in mind, however ive heard that different models for that transmission had different length input shafts.

Comment

From a new post on the PW forum

http://imageevent.com/rustbusters/53...=0&y=1&z=2&l=0

A poly bell like mine. The 4 small holes to the inside are for the 3spd. The larger upper 4 outside holes are for the 4 spd. The 2 upper, 1 lower right and lower left ones are for the NP540. So they use 3 of the same holes. Gar

Comment

From a new post on the PW forum

http://imageevent.com/rustbusters/53...=0&y=1&z=2&l=0

A poly bell like mine. The 4 small holes to the inside are for the 3spd. The larger upper 4 outside holes are for the 4 spd. The 2 upper, 1 lower right and lower left ones are for the NP540. So they use 3 of the same holes. Gar
                    well my bell housing looks like that, except its for a '67 la318 engine.

would it be the same?

Comment

Sounds like it should work. G Bolt her up

Comment

lol. well i might just have to get one then.

but my real delema would be to find an 11 inch clutch disk with the 1.38 dia. 10 spline

i never went anywhere in person but i couldnt find anything on the internet selling or having information for an 11 inch disk with that 1.38 diameter.

also i want to know if that 1.38 diameter would also work for a 1 3/8 diameter. my question being, is the 1.38 just a rounded up way of saying 1.375? or do you mean its exactly 1.380?

and would a ford or GM np540 have the same bolt pattern as the mopar?

Comment

A coincidence that 1.38=1-3/8 (actual 1.375). Rounding up I suppose... 5 thousands difference. 1/32"=0.03125". As in my post above I had to have them hone the inside of the yoke by 1/32". 1.375+.03125=1.406 This is what worked for me. You wont know until you get one.

"Hone of Inside splnes for yoke & spacer Drive Train Ind. Labor 1/32” / 1/16 total Dia. $20.00"
                          The machine work of the original yoke casting was off visually, so I had them balance it at there cost too. You have to watch these 'experts'!

I don't think a GM 540 has the same bolt pattern and I don't know about the ford. Several bolts are bound to line up and you might have to drill and tap a new hole with a non Dodge. So I really don't know. I just stuck with a Dodge 540. Gar

Comment

Working...
                          X