My W500 Purchase, a 1963 Fire Truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My W500 Purchase, a 1963 Fire Truck

How Much does a W500 PW fire Truck Weigh? Oh about 13,420 pounds.

Well, The 1963 (per the title, 1964 per the VIN Decoder) is paid for and setting in my back yard here in IL now.

Loaded on Saturday (on the hottest day of the year, so for) by Winching it onto the trailer. When they say it runs, be sure to ask them if they have enough gas to load it, or make sure you bring enough since there isn't a working station in town. Oh also make sure you also bring a replacement electric fuel pump so when the one on the truck quits working. all in all the winching wasn't too bad, just time consuming.

Transported to IL on Sunday. Decided to weigh the complete tow package (Mega Cab, Fire Truck and Trailer, and I was a little heaver than even I would have guessed. No wonder I only got 7.5 MPG (sure the head wind didn't help).

Drove the empty Trailer back Sunday, another 4.75 hours, but not a bad drive, got 13.7 MPG with the empty trailer.

It's amazing how little weight is transferred to the front axle on a Gooseneck Trailer, will need to take some of the "leveling" kit out of the front of the RAM.

So for the Truck's history I have have it at three different Wayne County MO Fire Departments (at least back to June 1997, and likely back to 84'ish).

She runs good, but as with all old Dodge Drum Equipped Trucks, she only stops with the Emergency Brake. The Village I bought it from never even used it as an active truck, and have a late 40's, early 50's Chevy Fire Truck as well for sale.

More Later,
    Will
    More Pictures at: http://powerwagon.wawii.com/W500.htm
    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Really neat!

Interesting front fender treatment. I have not seen that before.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Well I'm kinda envious of you as I been searching for a W500 for some time. But what would one do with a fire engine? That one's too nice to scrap the equipment off of it for just a truck. What are you gonna do with that beast? Off-road parades? Is it 4-speed or 5?

Comment

Gordon - Thanks. Yes those screwed on fender skits will have to go.

712edf - Sorry, stumbled across this one while looking at property. Yea great shape, truck and fire body. Will likely keep it as a fire truck, but shed the tank weight. It's a little wide and heavy to Off Road, but might make a great PW hauler?
        I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
        Will
        WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
        1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
        1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
        1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
        2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Congratulations Will! Some Marsh beadlocks and a little OD paint and she'll be good to go.

Comment

Working...
          X