Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1968 w200

Hello,
    Just joined.Have 68 w200. Needs some cab work and new bed bottom.Was retired state forest fire patrol. Driveline and chasis in very good shape. Motor isfroze wondering if worth rebuilding or updating. Want to make it weekend driver. any thoughts?

Bearit,

Welcome and congratulation on the Truck. depending upon the motor you have, the decision will likely be different. For a driver, the original 318's were good, not too much fuel consumption. The 68 year was the last of the short snout water pumps on the small blocks, but if the block checks out OK, they are decent to rebuild.
    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Congrats on the truck, from my experience with my 67 W200 and comparing it to my 74 W200, these trucks are built a fair amount tougher than the 72 and up models. I bought my 67 this January and have started using it in truck pull competitions. What motor and transmission combo do you have as that will make it easier to offer suggestions.

Comment

info on bearit 68w-200

So far , I know it has a 318, 4 speed with a 2 speed transfer. The motor is the 2nd motor the truck has had. It has about 60000 on it. It seems to be seized from sitting. There doesn`t appear to be any water in the base,the hood and air cleaner were intact. If I could get it running id would be a lot easier to get it out from where it is and onto a trailer. I would like to rehab it enough to use it on the weekends. Needs 2 floor pans and aseat doors and glass are all good, back needs a floor,fenders ,sides and headboard are all good. The big question is the motor.

Thanks, bearit

Comment

Depending on your time frame, I've had decent luck in the past by removing the spark plugs and oiling the cylinders through the plug holes for a few days. I've been using PB blaster lately and have had good luck with it, I try and spray a good shot into each cylinder a few times a day before rotating the engine over slowly by hand via the crank bolt before trying to start it.

Is your transfer case a twin stick operation or just a single stick? The twin stick is the NP201 and the single is the NP205; both are a very strong, gear driven units.

The only 4 speed transmission I've encoutered in these trucks is the top loader NP435 and I've heard maybe the NP445 might be in some. Both are again very strong units.

I believe the 68 is still the hydraulic operated clutch like my 67, but can't recall. I had the replace the slave cylinder when I first got my truck up and running, Autozone actually had one in two days for around $25. I have noticed my clutch master cylinder is leaking a little inside the firewall so I'll need to replace that soon. Becareful if you change clutch masters as there's been some confusion with parts houses supplying single resivoir master cylinders which have a different bore/stroke combo and causes problems with clutch operation. I'd suggest holding onto your old one until you're sure you've got the job finished before turning it in for a core.

I began earlier this year pulling my newly aquired 67 W200 competitively with a 318, NP201 and NP435. The only upgrades I've made have been a 440 and changed the input shaft on the NP435 from the 1" to the larger 1 1/8" so I can run a 13" clutch. I've taken one 2nd place, two 3rd place and several 4th place wins and the driveline is still holding strong.

I haven't seen much tech on the hydraulic bell setup as it's not very common, but if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by bearit View Post
            Hello,
            Just joined.Have 68 w200. Needs some cab work and new bed bottom.Was retired state forest fire patrol. Driveline and chasis in very good shape. Motor isfroze wondering if worth rebuilding or updating. Want to make it weekend driver. any thoughts?
            If you're using it two days with a five day rest period [and using it near
            home :) ], I'd try the suggestions to [try to] un-stick the engine and
            see how it runs before pulling the engine out for another. If your truck
            is still in its stock trim..... all the engine, tranny and axle information is
            on the VIN tag in the left door jam. The standard set up is LA318/NP435D3
            tranny/NP201 t-case/DANA 60/44 with a 4.10:1/4.09:1 gear.
            John

Comment

Working...
            X