Big block hyd. bellhousing direct drive starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big block hyd. bellhousing direct drive starter

Just thought I'd post this in case anyone is interested. I recently finished my big block conversion in my 67 W200 using a bellhousing out of medium duty truck. The bellhousing should be the same as what came in the light duty trucks that used the hydraulic setup in the 60's, but I ended up with a 13" clutch which I don't think was available. I soon found out my small block direct drive started wouldn't work, it had three mounting holes versus the 2 that the big block has. For a short time I ran the big block bellhousing with the 11" small block flywheel and clutch setup. In order to engage the starter, I fab'd a plate to hold the starter under the oil pan and engage the flywheel at the very bottom instead of off to the side. Once I got the rest of the parts in order to install the proper flywheel I started searching for a starter. I had purchased a rebuilt 3 hole small block direct drive starter from a local parts house for around $60. No parts houses could get me the 2 hole big block starter however. After dissasembling the old 2 hole starter, I notice how the only difference between the two is the cast "nose cone" so I was able to swap nose cones between the two. So, if anyone is having trouble finding a 2 hole direct drive big block starter, I'd suggest buying one for a small block and swapping nose cones, provided you have a good big block nose cone.
Working...
X