3D modeling of a Sweptline ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D modeling of a Sweptline ?

Ive allways wanted to try the 3D computer modeling , but Im afraid its way over my head.
    Are there any computer wiz types that can do 3D modeling in the forum ?
    Would be a wonderful and usefull tool as well as being tons of fun to play with.

In a word - yes.

Originally posted by WARWAGON41 View Post
    Ive allways wanted to try the 3D computer modeling , but Im afraid its way over my head.
    Are there any computer wiz types that can do 3D modeling in the forum ?
    Would be a wonderful and usefull tool as well as being tons of fun to play with.

I use a computer to create 3D models every day at work. But for me, the programs are just tools. I am by no means a computer wizard. In fact, I don't really like computers all that much. The 3D models I create at home for things I want to make in the garage, or additions and improvements to the house or shop I would like to build, I guess are kind of fun though.

I can tell right off that I do not recognize the program you used to create your images. It looks like you used a form of surface modeling? Surface modeling does not see a lot of use in the design center of the engineering firm where I work as a Mechanical Designer. We are more concerned with solid models of all the parts from each and every fastener up to and including the very top level assembly, whether it be tooling design or product design that we are contracted to provide.

Mechanical Design is kind of hard to get into on your own. To start with, the programs cost at a minimum of $10,000 for the low end versions and go up sharply from there. They are also not very user friendly and very hard to learn by ones self. Classes for the high end programs are usually by appointment only for professional users, they touch upon only advanced techniques, and are usually not taught at entry level in colleges.

But if you are a computer wiz - go for it! The guys working with animation and CGI are having all the fun.

Comment

Sorry for any confusion , but the images are from
      3dcadbrowser.com.
      I was only using them as an example of what other people were doing.
      I dont think there for full blown mechanical design , but I dont know.

You can download many different vehicles , as usual though very few Dodges..... and NO sweptlines.

I would like to know more about this stuff but like you said Clint the programs can be VERY expensive.
      And outside a work enviroment , would require tons of training and time , I would guess.
      I dont know anyone locally that is involved in this.

Would be great to have 3D models of our favorite Dodges to try paint schemes and other mods.

Ive seen a few at home type 3D programs online that are reasonably affordable but I dont have a clue what to look for.
      If I did know what to get, I wouldnt know how to use it.
      3D studio max , Maya and so on....theres even a free program called Blender thats suppose to be good.
      Might be best to leave it to the pros.
      Thanks a bunch for the info Clint !

Comment

Working...
      X