rear suspension pics.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear suspension pics.

Does anyone have any pics of the rear leaf spring setup on their rig. Shouldn't my truck have some sort of raising block between the leaf springs and the axles. I've got about four inches of u-bolt hanging below the mounts as if something was removed at some time or another. I guess while I'm asking some pics of the front suspension setup would be nice also.
    Also, what can I do for the front springs they look like they are sagging pretty bad. I'm assuming they should be fairly straight and not curved upward.
    1970 W-200

Yes if I recall correctly there should be lift blocks between the springs and axle housing on W series. Don't know exact size of block but around 3".

And yes the front springs originally would be curved down a little towards the center. You can have those re-arched but it'd be more worthwhile to get new ones.

Bucky

Comment

The lift blocks were used through '68. They
      weren't on '69-'71 W200s. You can look at
      www.espo.com for springs & bushings. Also,
      Eaton Springs might be able to help. I'd suggest
      getting new springs if they're needed.
      John
      Last edited by Hobcobble; 12-30-2009, 09:49 PM. Reason: additinal information

Comment

My 67 W200, 65 W200, 74 W200 as well as the 76 W200 I just sold all have the identical blocks between the rear axle and leaf springs. 3-4" sounds about right and they have an arm that extends inward that lines up with the frame rails for the rubber bump stops.

Comment

I've been looking online for the leaf springs. Can't seem to find anything but lift kits for these trucks. Most of the kits do include three inch rear blocks and all new bushings for the leaf springs along with new front springs and u-bolts. All of which I need. The pics of the u-bolts look different than stock. My stock u bolts are squared off while the kits look like standard "u" shape. Anyone bought one of these kits to know whether or not the bolts are right? Also can anyone make a recommendation. I've looked at rough country and skyjacker kits so far.

Comment

http://www.dodgesweptline.org/phorum...,4806#msg-4806

Here's a pic of a '69 W200 leaf pack and DANA 60 in its stock configuration.
            The "U" shaped bolts in the lift kits you've been looking at are likely what
            is used for a 70's "LifeStyle Era truck DANA 44 front axle.
            John

Comment

Hobcobble please check your private message here or drop me an email at 59redtruck at verizon.net. The usual replace the AT with @. I need some advice please. Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Ron in Indiana View Post
                Hobcobble please check your private message here or drop me an email at 59redtruck at verizon.net. The usual replace the AT with @. I need some advice please. Ron
                Ron,
                I responded yesterday via PM. Did you read it?
                John

Comment

I don't see it in my message box but then I've only used it once before. Can you email me direct? thanks.

Comment

http://s666.photobucket.com/albums/v...0rear%20spring

BigBen,
                    Here are a couple pictures close up of my stock 1970 W200 rear spring at the axle. Pictures are not the best but let me know if I can take some more for you
                    John

Comment

That's interesting, I never knew that about the later sweptlines. It seems to me that every lifestyle era truck I've seen has the blocks installed and appear factory so is it something they went back to after 71? Do the 69-71 trucks have more arch in the springs so they still sit at a similar height or do they tend to sit lower, anyone know?

thanks
                      Corey

Comment

Originally posted by plymsatellite66 View Post
                        That's interesting, I never knew that about the later sweptlines. It seems to me that every lifestyle era truck I've seen has the blocks installed and appear factory so is it something they went back to after 71? Do the 69-71 trucks have more arch in the springs so they still sit at a similar height or do they tend to sit lower, anyone know?

thanks
                        Corey
                        Corey,
                        The '69-'71 W200 Sweptlines sit a bit lower [in stock trim] than the
                        earlier W100/W200 Sweptlines. [Before '69, the W100 Sweptlines were
                        114" wheelbase with eight lug DANA 44/DANA 60 axles.]
                        John

Comment

Thanks for the pics guys.
                          So I guess Dodge went without the blocks for a few years and then went back to them when they changed body styles. I think I am going to look for a set of the blocks to put in the rear as it looks lower than the front even with the sagging front springs. Based on what you've seen are the early blocks pretty much the same as the later blocks. Probably going to be easier to locate a later model parts truck. That way I'll only have to buy some new front springs and it'll be easier on the wallet.

Comment

Were the wheelbases different for the 69-71 trucks versus the earlier ones? I wouldn't have thought there would have been any differences.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigben View Post
                              Were the wheelbases different for the 69-71 trucks versus the earlier ones? I wouldn't have thought there would have been any differences.
                              Short wheelbase trucks were 114" from 61-71. Longbeds were 122" (61-65.5) and 128" (65.5-71). LIfts blocks I am pretty sure have been on all Dodge 4x4's since 71.

Bucky

Comment

Working...
                              X