Power steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power steering

Hello i have a 1970 w200 with manual steering that i need to convert to power problem im having is i can find pictures of that year with power steering but i cant find a parts store to sell me a gear box they all tell me that power steering was not avail for my truck any suggestions or thoughts?

They are telling you the truth to an extent. A power assist was available (at least on 2wd), but it was a hydraulic ram type setup with multiple "leaky" hoses. And they weren't very common anyways. The power steering box as we know it wasn't available til I believe 72-later trucks. 71 was last yr for steering box to be located behind the front axle.

Power steering "conversions" are discussed in great detail on sweptline (dot) org. But there is no "over the counter bolt-in" setup available to my knowledge.

Bucky

Comment

About the only way to reasonably do it is to find a donor truck and swap out all the parts. Even then, the shaft on the hydraulic assist cylinder is usually corroded and leaking, not to mention any problems with the other parts. The cylinder can be rebuilt, but it will be more than $100.

There are some aftermarket cylinders that may work, but it's still going to be a lot of work and, maybe, not worth the trouble.

The swapping of parts is not difficult, it's just finding parts in good condition at a reasonable price.

I have rarely seen parts advertised on ebay, and I occasionally find a power steering truck at Pick-a-Parts. I would guess that only about ten percent of the trucks came with power steering.

Comment

Am i better off transplanting the body on to a newer 75-78 frame?

Comment

Originally posted by mofomotorsports View Post
          Am i better off transplanting the body on to a newer 75-78 frame?
          That is an option, but requires some modifications for sure. go to sweptlines dot org & search power steering conversions. Many have done this usually multiple methods, but it is more commonly done on 2wd trucks, but on a 70 the 2wd & 4wd weren't as different as later trucks.
          Which route you choose will involve fab work.

Bucky

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys but the more i think about altering a prestine all original w200 i think i'll just sell it and build a newer model.

Comment

Hey Mofo do you have a clutch Z bar assembly up for sale?

Comment

Gonna give it up for power steering. I thought PWR STEERING came along for the misses when we got stuck. J/K LOL

Comment

Power steering hope for your 70 Swepty!

I took my truck to B&I Frame in Burbank, California and Troy fabbed up true power steering for my truck and it cost about $1,700 all in and was done in about a week and a half. It is awesome!!! It is like driving a whole other truck!! I can't rave enough about it.

http://bniframe.com/

--------------
                  1966 W200 - 440/727 - Frame off resto in process
                  1969 W200 - 318 Poly, Dana 60's, Disk brakes, Power Steering, 1410 yokes
                  1969 Buick GS convertible
                  1976 Ramcharger - 8 lug, Big block, 727, factory tach, SE
                  1983 Ford Ranger 4x4 - 2.8 V6, auto, a/c
                  2008 Dodge Avenger

Comment

Here's a link to a "kit" I've been thinking of doing it myself
                    http://www.uglytruckling.com/Civilia...ox%20mount.htm

Comment

Originally posted by gyman98 View Post
                      Here's a link to a "kit" I've been thinking of doing it myself
                      http://www.uglytruckling.com/Civilia...ox%20mount.htm

That kit does not work on a Sweptline.

Comment

Through the help of a reader of the DTA forum, I was able to buy a power assist system that had been adapted to a W300. This truck was in a wrecking yard in the SF Bay area. I am in Idaho, so I negotiated with the owner and bought the parts. I had all the parts rebuilt and replaced the hoses, and now have a great system. I have a pto winch on the truck and I attach a Meyer snow plow in the winter. The truck steers so easily it's amazing. My '69 W500 has a factory power assist system that steers that truck quite well, too. You might find a donor truck and get the parts from it. JH

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Henry View Post
                          Through the help of a reader of the DTA forum, I was able to buy a power assist system that had been adapted to a W300. This truck was in a wrecking yard in the SF Bay area. I am in Idaho, so I negotiated with the owner and bought the parts. I had all the parts rebuilt and replaced the hoses, and now have a great system. I have a pto winch on the truck and I attach a Meyer snow plow in the winter. The truck steers so easily it's amazing. My '69 W500 has a factory power assist system that steers that truck quite well, too. You might find a donor truck and get the parts from it. JH

did they take stock parts and make them work ? have any pic of it would like too do that to my 67 keep it looking stock Ken

Comment

I honestly don't know if it was a factory install or not. It is almost exactly like the power assist in my W500, which is factory, as it is noted on the data plate. The rams are smaller on the 300 than on the 500, which makes sense. Everything fit like it was made for it. I did have to change the spindle housing on the driver's side to accommodate the mounting of the new drag link.

Comment

Just curious

Jerry does the D500 use the same P/S set-up as the W500? There is a D500 (60's) about 60 miles from me that I am positive has power assist.

Bucky

Comment

Working...
                              X