1967 D300; 6 bolt rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1967 D300; 6 bolt rims

While I know it's not a W series, I just picked up a 67 D300 dually that I plan to use as my trailer toter. The problem is, it's got 6 bolt rims and they're 17.5" diameter so finding rubber might be a challenge. What limited information I've found puts the bolt pattern from maybe the fifties and they carried it into the 60's on the 1 tons. I've got a set of 6 bolt International rims that I've been meaning to compare the bolt pattern to, but I only have 4 and they're not dually rims anyway. About the only option I've come up with is to have the centers put into some 16" rims. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
    Corey

17.5" tires are not all that uncommon, they are generally used in light commercial and trailer applications. It should not be too hard to find a set of modern radials that will fit your wheels, as long as you're not looking for an agressive traction tread (like I was). If a highway rib tire will suit your needs there are plenty to choose from, and being a commercial tire they tend to have a higher load rating than a comparable light truck tire in a "normal" size. Your bolt circle should be 6 x 7.25 which was phased out about 1969, and is seen most often on Dodges and Internationals, but almost every manufacturer used it at least once. Most rims with this bolt pattern are of the split ring variety, so with your tubeless 17.5's you are already ahead of the game. I'd suggest consulting with your local tire shop that handles a lot of commercial/agricultural applications before you start getting serious about having wheels built, that gets pricey (ask me how I know).

Comment

Thanks for the info, glad to hear the 6 bolt pattern is more common than I'd thought. Hopefully I can find some 16" rims or like I said have them made, my uncle has access to a full machine/welding shop so the only price involved will be whatever I have in the rims themselves. The only reason I'm hoping to get away from the 17.5 is that in a 16" I can get tires for $90 a piece although I was pleased to see that the rims were a one piece and not a split rim.

thanks again,

Corey

Comment

Pretty good selection, but they are not cheap....-

http://www.ricksontruckwheels.com/tires-175-truck.php

http://www.conti-online.com/generato..._drive_en.html

http://www.millertire.com/tire_truck.htm

Comment

16's are the most common size wheel with this bolt pattern, but they are all split rings. They are not that hard to live with if you can find a tire shop that will work on them. Another thought is that if you're going to cut out the centers and stuff them in another rim, you can probably find someone willing to trade you a set of 16's for your 17.5's and not have to cut up what in my opinion is a more desireable wheel. The 16 inch centers will also fit into the new rim much more easily. For this operation you will want a dodge style wheel which has the center rivited in, not an M715 wheel which is almost identical but has the centers welded in making them stronger and more difficult to remove.

Comment

pretty easy to find a tire shop to work on split ring tires, most farm or truck tire place, no problem. Avoid chain tire stores like the plague. If you decide to cut out centers, find someone with a water jet or plasma cutter that has experience doing this. Not a hard operation, offroaders do it a lot with hummer wheels.

Comment

I'm running Yokohama 17.5" tires on
              my '61 D200. I believe they are 8R/17.5s.
              John
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Hobcobble View Post
                I'm running Yokohama 17.5" tires on
                my '61 D200. I believe they are 8R/17.5s.
                John

that's a great looking truck.....

Comment

Originally posted by jakenok View Post
                  that's a great looking truck.....
                  It'll scare you if you get too close....
                  John

Comment

thanks for all the info, when I get back up to the truck over Christmas break I'll have to get out to the big truck salvage yard up there and see if they have any wheels. Those tires fit nicely on your truck, John, but I'd hate to spend more than I paid for the truck on new tires, especially when I can pick up some load range E retreads for about $90 a piece. I'll have to try and get some pictures of it when I'm up there, not sure how it'll compare to John's truck in the scary category, but atleast John's doesn't have bullet holes in the passenger door and the previous owner even bought it from the Omaha police impound.

Comment

Originally posted by plymsatellite66 View Post
                      thanks for all the info, when I get back up to the truck over Christmas break I'll have to get out to the big truck salvage yard up there and see if they have any wheels. Those tires fit nicely on your truck, John, but I'd hate to spend more than I paid for the truck on new tires, especially when I can pick up some load range E retreads for about $90 a piece. I'll have to try and get some pictures of it when I'm up there, not sure how it'll compare to John's truck in the scary category, but atleast John's doesn't have bullet holes in the passenger door and the previous owner even bought it from the Omaha police impound.
                      Mine has one bullet hole on the rear of the
                      cab on the left side. I'm not sure if the previous
                      owner pulled through or not.....
                      John

Comment

Working...
                      X