Nv 4500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nv 4500

Has anyone here used the NV 4500 in place of the stock 4 speed? I have a 1970 W300 that I would like to swap a diesel into, but I can't bear to remove the 318; it has only 24k on it. I have used the 5 speed in other diesel swaps, and have an adapter made to fit it to an Isuzu 4 or 6 cylinder.This way, I could do the swap in stages. I'd like to keep the stock transfer case, as it runs the winch, so I would use a 2wd version of the tranny. Did Dodge ever make a bell housing for a 360/nv 4500 combo? Sure would be an improvement on the highway.

Frank Irons should have a useful response to that.

Frank????
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by coog View Post
      Has anyone here used the NV 4500 in place of the stock 4 speed? I have a 1970 W300 that I would like to swap a diesel into, but I can't bear to remove the 318; it has only 24k on it. I have used the 5 speed in other diesel swaps, and have an adapter made to fit it to an Isuzu 4 or 6 cylinder.This way, I could do the swap in stages. I'd like to keep the stock transfer case, as it runs the winch, so I would use a 2wd version of the tranny. Did Dodge ever make a bell housing for a 360/nv 4500 combo? Sure would be an improvement on the highway.
      Yes, there is a factory bellhousing for the 360 to 4500 transmission. I have a 1979 Dodge 360 in my M37 mated to the NV4500. I will have to look up the part number but they are available and common.

Comment

Good job, Frank!
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Irons View Post
          Yes, there is a factory bellhousing for the 360 to 4500 transmission. I have a 1979 Dodge 360 in my M37 mated to the NV4500. I will have to look up the part number but they are available and common.
          Thanks. I had hoped not to reinvent the wheel on this one.
          Anyone here done this in a 'W' series?

Comment

Originally posted by coog View Post
            Thanks. I had hoped not to reinvent the wheel on this one.
            Anyone here done this in a 'W' series?
            Frank is correct, there is a bell for that application and if you can't find one at a salvage yard, try Advanced Adapters. However that trans, in stock form*, bolted directly to the 360 which shares the same bolt pattern as the 318A and LA engines. I am not certain about later Magnum block, bolt patterns.
            There are a few who have used that trans in Sweptlines, however it was behind a Cummins.
            Most 4500's are disappearing into Jeeps, but with the introduction of Jeep factory 6 speeds, the heavy 4500 is not quite as sought after as it was 3 years ago.

*I'm hazy on this, as I am not certain if the Dodge and GM versions shared the same bolt pattern, so I will qualify that Dodge 4500's will bolt to the 318, not sure about GM versions and I am not sure about input shaft diameter, length and spline size and tooth count. However it can be done.

Paul in NY had an extra 4500 bell and he graciously shipped it to me so I could confirm usage behind the 318 and compare it with the Dodge Hydraulic bell that the A and LA used, unfortunately UPS lost it in transit, so I have no way to test fit one here.

Comment

'96 and up GM NV4500s have the same mounting pattern as the Dodge. Input shafts are different. GM is 1 1/8 x10 spline with a .590 pilot, Dodge regular duty is 1 1/8 x 10 with .75 pilot, and the Dodge heavy duty is 1 1/4 x 10 spline with a .75 pilot. The GM bearing retainer throwout bearing assembly is also different. The Mopar part number for the bellhousing I used is 52107540.

Frank

Comment

Thanks, one and all. I have the NV4500 in my '79 Scout behind a 4bd1t Isuzu diesel.With the 3.54 gears and 32" tires, you don't need 5th until 65 mph. The Isuzu revs quite a bit higher than the 4bt, so I have also been looking at 6 speeds with two o.d gears. The T-56 Magnum is available with a 50% 6th speed o.d...just about right for 4.88 gears. Expensive, but the transmission is the key to a proper swap.

Comment

Dodge used the NV4500 behind some of their gas motors like the V10 and 5.9 360. From what I have been told, all you have to do is get the bellhousing from Dodge (just say you have a 5.9 360 and 5 speed) and it will mount to any LA series motor (318, 340, 360). One of my buddies did this behind his built 360 in a '63 M37. Soon to have the belhousing and NV4500 in my '62 W100 so I will be able to help you out a little more in a few months once we get this swap on the road.

Comment

Working...
                  X