63W200 ambulance wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63W200 ambulance wheels

i am getting closer to getting the Beast home i finely pulled it out of the ditch it was in. all the tires were flat there are a bunch of tires mostly shot in the back of ambulance with different looking tires and rims. they all look bad to me. and at a little over 6,000 lbs i really don't want to be pulling it down the road waiting for a tire to blow.
    my ? is? would 8 bolt rims off of a Chevy 1 ton .fit on the w200? i have 4 almost new tires on Chevy rims rims.
    I tried to air up tires that are on the rig now sound like they all have water in em. maybe i should just wait for a freeze then move it. LOL..
    thanks,
    Larry B

Larry's truck. It definitly looks like it was stuck. If you find a body manufacturer's tag on it let me know and I'll check and see if I have any literature on it.

Kevin
    Attached Files

Comment

I haven't encountered too many chevy rims, but the ones I have won't fit over the rear Dana's; the chevy centers are too small. Ford and Dodge should use the same size center and will fit on a chevy, but stock chevy rims won't fit on ford and Dodge. If they are aftermarket rims then there's a good chance they will fit as all of the aftermarket rims I've seen have the larger center. Someone may know the exact years, but from what I recall the 8 bolt pattern stayed the same with the big 3 until sometime in the mid to late nineties, but there are also different backspacings that could give you problems.

Comment

Originally posted by plymsatellite66 View Post
        I haven't encountered too many chevy rims, but the ones I have won't fit over the rear Dana's; the chevy centers are too small. Ford and Dodge should use the same size center and will fit on a chevy, but stock chevy rims won't fit on ford and Dodge. If they are aftermarket rims then there's a good chance they will fit as all of the aftermarket rims I've seen have the larger center. Someone may know the exact years, but from what I recall the 8 bolt pattern stayed the same with the big 3 until sometime in the mid to late nineties, but there are also different backspacings that could give you problems.
        Yep, I had 85 D350 crew cab that had a big tire on one of the fronts. When I tried to move it to the rear (Dana 60), it wouldn't go over the hub. It was a chevy wheel.

Bucky

Comment

I'm pretty sure it was 97 that Ford went to a metric bolt pattern on 8 lug stuff.

Comment

wheel sizes

there is a set of aftermarkett white spokes on the front with pretty wide bald flat tires on "ambi" now. i could not emagine wanting wide tires on front of a 6K rig for parrellel parking reasons. not to mention not having same size rubber on a 4x4. could not be doing the running gear locked up any good ! Plus i just want tall skinny big lug, factory type tire's
            Beacon Tire -n- battery owner owes me one on a subaru i sold him. i think i will call in that marker.
            picked up a tilt bed trailer yesterday. took one of my organ doner Subi's in and 2 old furnaces got $200 dang
            I will try to com-a-long Ambi onto it today . i have a feeling that is going to be a project. i do not have anyong to drive the 64 pw with winch...bet i will find a way before day is over though.....Hmmm i failed to aks what GVW the trailer will haul..
            thanks all,
            LB

Comment

63 w200 ambulance

Would love to see/hear an update on Larry B's progress on this classic piece of Cold War and Power Wagon history...

Comment

63 and 64 powerwagons

I have not made a lot of progress with the 63 Ambulance. I have been rounding up parts for the ambulance. got the stuff to rebuild brake cylinders as well as a brand new rebuilt /6 from an 82 dodge van. I should get er rolling under its own power this winter...
                I was able to get the 64's brakes rebuilt...funny story....
                we can get brake slave cylinders rebuild kits from O'reilly's but they can not get master kit or even a rebuilt.....
                NAPA has kit for master but can't get rebuild kits for slaves....
                go figure
                we are lookin at a little over $5 bucks a kit... takes time tearing things apart and cleaning but cheep to do...oh and switch over to DOT 5 fluid...its not so troublesome....
                I have been too busy working on new place to do much anything else..I NEED A SHOP !!!!don't have one yet but at least now I have a warm dry place to do some projects...PW's won't fit in there dang it!!!!
                LB

Comment

Here is a link to a restored Air Force ambulance like yours (except the winch is missing) - pretty cool!

http://www.malmstrom.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123144769

Comment

Working...
                  X