1970 crew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970 crew

I have a 1970 W 200 crew cab 4x4 with a 318 and a 4 spd. It runs and drives fine but i am toying with the idea of putting a 12v cummins in it. I'm guessing if I were to do this the transfer case and the axles are a must change?? what year truck would be a good truck to take parts from and put on my 1970?

Brett

I believe the best 12v donor is a 1998 model.
    I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
    Will
    WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
    1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
    1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
    1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
    2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Will,that would be early production up to Jan. 1 1998.After that date they were 24 valve with the not so reliable vp-44 injection pumps.Just trying to avoid confusion even though I believe the question did include 12 valve? Thanks Doug

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. I like the 96/97's for Donor, either gas or diesel (depending on your conversion), but had read most diesel guys referring to the 98's as the ideal. Appreciate the clarification.
        I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
        Will
        WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
        1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
        1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
        1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
        2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Originally posted by Bstock83 View Post
          I have a 1970 W 200 crew cab 4x4 with a 318 and a 4 spd. It runs and drives fine but i am toying with the idea of putting a 12v cummins in it. I'm guessing if I were to do this the transfer case and the axles are a must change?? what year truck would be a good truck to take parts from and put on my 1970?

Brett
          A few guys have converted their Sweptlines to
          Cummins Diesel power. Check out their builds at:
          www.sweptline.org
          John

Comment

Originally posted by Hobcobble View Post
            A few guys have converted their Sweptlines to
            Cummins Diesel power. Check out their builds at:
            www.sweptline.org
            John
            John is very correct in this. Several good threads about sweptline conversions.

Not sure why 98 would be better than 97> except the 6 speed was introduced about then. As far as needing to be a 12v I'm not sure why everyone is so afraid of the 24v. Just replace the lift pump.

I have an 01 24v I plan on combining with my 70 crew. Brett, if u have a divorced t-case you can just move it back and use a 2wd trans, resize the shafts and your good.

Comment

I do have the stock divorced transfer caseon it but would it hold up? Brett

Comment

I do have the stock divorced transfer caseon it but would it hold up? Brett
                If its the stock NP205 t-case, it'll hold up just fine.
                John

Comment

Check out Brian's build. Its the exact same drivetrain.

http://www.sweptline.org/forums/view...p?f=34&t=14334

Comment

well i got the motor and trans pulled this weekend. Im going to start replacing floor pan and other rusted out parts before i stick a cummins in it. At this rate I should be done in about 20 years!! :(

Comment

At this rate I should be done in about 20 years!! :(
                      If you're 70 or older..... you might have a problem brewing. :)
                      John

Comment

haha i'm only 29 so hopefully I make it

Comment

Good info in this thread, although saying the 98 is the best is somewhat false. Probably saying that because with a 5spd it has a 215hp P pump, nv4500 trans, likely a 241hd transfer case and Dana 80. However 96-98 5spd trucks are all the same although some may have the light duty transfer case.

With that being said 94-98 are all P pumped and 5spds are nv4500's. front end is coil spring so quite a bit if fab for that.

Nothing wrong with the VE pumped 12v's either, even the getrag is a good transmission

Comment

You will have to cut into the firewall if you use an intercooler. I am doing a conversion in a '65 W200 with a '96 Cummins. The rear valve cover on the Cummins is right in the center of the firewall in my case. A buddy of mine with a '70 W300 pushed the engine back even further (about 1.5 valve covers into the firewall).

Here is a link to my build: http://sweptline.org/forums/viewtopi...3276&start=140

Comment

Working...
                            X