spline count? 74w300 dana 70?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spline count? 74w300 dana 70?

how would I determine the spline count on my 74w300 dana 70. Do i have to take the diff apart. The reason I ask, I have the opportunity to pick up a new eaton detroit locker 35 spline count, cheap or what i think is cheap 400$. I dont really need this locker at this time, but I'm looking towards the future when I kick myself for not grabbing this when i had the chance. how rare are these if at all? are they still making lockers for 1970's era dana 70s ?

The BOM (bill of material) number is what you need to look at . This number is stamped on the right side (looking at the cover) of the axle housing on the tube. This number will tell you all the components in the axle, although you will need to go to a Spicer dealer or call Spicer for info, unless you have a master parts list. You probably have a 35 spline axle rear but there are 5 different versions of Dana 70 differentials. Before you buy make sure it will fit your axle.

Frank

Comment

no rush

after searching the web it seems that 400$ is a good price, but not irresistable. Also to my surprise these devices are still readily available. That is fantastic news, because some of my biggest $ mistakes have been rushing to buy some component that I thought would never be available again. after searching around a bit I think I'm looking for a limited slip type not a hardcore rockcrawling locker.

I took a quick flashlight peek at the axle tube but couldnt see or feel the BOM#s. I'm wondering if they are beneath the metal brake line.

Comment

Are you talking about a rear axle? If so, just pull out an axle shaft and count the splines. A front would be a lot of work.
        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by 74w300uteline View Post
          after searching the web it seems that 400$ is a good price, but not irresistable. Also to my surprise these devices are still readily available. That is fantastic news, because some of my biggest $ mistakes have been rushing to buy some component that I thought would never be available again. after searching around a bit I think I'm looking for a limited slip type not a hardcore rockcrawling locker.

I took a quick flashlight peek at the axle tube but couldnt see or feel the BOM#s. I'm wondering if they are beneath the metal brake line.
          You may need a wire brush or some sandpaper to see the stamped in numbers. There is a date code and the BOM number which is a six digit number with a dash and another number. Yours should be a 603242-something. The -something will tell the ratio and also if you have an open differential, anti slip, or Detroit No Spin. Get the number and I can tell you what is in you axle, assuming it is still stock.

Frank

Comment

found em

7 23 302

603242 7
            and a tag on a cover bolt 488
            when it rains it pours. I also found a used limited slip up for sale on Pirate 4x4 from a 73w300.

Comment

Here is Pirates page listing Dana 60/70F BOM

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...%20Shafts.html

Doesn't show 603242-7 but all the Dodge Dana 70 fronts show 35 spline inners.

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by 74w300uteline View Post
                7 23 302

603242 7
                and a tag on a cover bolt 488
                when it rains it pours. I also found a used limited slip up for sale on Pirate 4x4 from a 73w300.
                603242-7 is a rear 70B axle with a 2 piece differential case w/.500 offset, 4.88 gearing, and is open(no limited slip). Axle shafts are 1 1/2 x 35 spline.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Irons View Post
                  603242-7 is a rear 70B axle with a 2 piece differential case w/.500 offset, 4.88 gearing, and is open(no limited slip). Axle shafts are 1 1/2 x 35 spline.

Frank
                  Frank,
                  Do you have a Dana "book"?
                  If you say yes, I might start bugging you. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm View Post
                    Frank,
                    Do you have a Dana "book"?
                    If you say yes, I might start bugging you. ;)
                    Yes I do Norm, the Spicer dealer got so tired of me bugging him for info that he gave me a 6" stack of catalogs and info.

Frank

PS: HAPPY 7000 POSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOUR ARE THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Yes I do Norm, the Spicer dealer got so tired of me bugging him for info that he gave me a 6" stack of catalogs and info.

Frank

Ha! Ha! Thanks! (I think!)
                      GREAT! I'll bug you the next time something unknown comes into the shop! ;)

Comment

Frank

He has more posts than I have....

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                          He has more posts than I have....
                          You better get going Gordon, Charles is going to catch up to you!!!!!!!!!

Frank

Comment

That would be great!

Comment

Working...
                            X