Changing to manual steering from power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing to manual steering from power

I was asked today by the owner of a 1970 Sweptline how to change from a factory power assist steering to manual. This is a 2 wheel drive truck that's been sitting for YEARS. He got it running but says the belt to the pump is gone and it doesn't have any fluid in it anyway. He commented that at 45 it has a terrible death wobble and that he's replaced king pins and what not. He'd like to know what drag link to use to replace the assist. As some of you know I'm a PG guy so this beyond my experience with these trucks. Any help? I told him NOT to get rid of his unit as someone may want it.

Its a pretty easy conversion. Take all of it off and replace the steering arm.

Comment

If he's still looking, I have the parts he needs...

Comment

Thanks I'll pass that along. Any idea how much you want for the parts?

Comment

Originally posted by mopardwh View Post
          Its a pretty easy conversion. Take all of it off and replace the steering arm.
          Do you mean pitman arm, or are you meaning the drag link? Manual and power use the same pitman arm, don't they?
          Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
            Do you mean pitman arm, or are you meaning the drag link? Manual and power use the same pitman arm, don't they?
            Yes, just the drag link.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
              I seem to recall a "bent" pitman arm for P/S?
              The manual steering arms are straight....
              I'm not sure I have a P/S system left to confirm
              this though.....
              John

Comment

Well surely someone could measure to confirm, but we removed all p/s parts from a friends 71 D100 and used the d/l only from my 69 D100 parts truck. Not sure how much he has driven it, but it worked fine last I heard.

Comment

I have the p/s system off my '68 stashed in the attic, next to the bolt in crossmember for an automatic... I'll take a peak and see if the pitman is the same or bent, as I can't remember either.

Comment

Working...
                  X