What Trans Do I Have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Trans Do I Have?

Ive got a 1969 440 Big Block powered PW, with two trans. I know one is a TF727, but the truck also came with a 4 speed, which is what I want to use. The only problem is that I need the small plate that holds the throwout bearing, and Im not sure what to look for because Im not sure what trans it is. The only idea that I have is that it may be an A833.

Any help on identifying it?

It is probably a New Process 435.

Small plate, you say. Do you have the release lever?

I would urge you to scout around for a service manual for the truck, and possibly a parts manual. You would find them to be very useful.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Well the thing is, the truck is sitting on an older chassis. Its got a split transfer case, if that helps. Mostly Military driveline. Im not sure about the release lever, what is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Block 'Wagon View Post
        Well the thing is, the truck is sitting on an older chassis. Its got a split transfer case, if that helps. Mostly Military driveline. Im not sure about the release lever, what is that?
        The truck is sitting on an older chassis. You mean the 1969 truck is sitting on an older chassis?

If I am getting the split part, that is WWII, and a totally different, non-synchro transmission, and you don't want to use that in a 1969 era vehicle. That would be a step backward.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
          The truck is sitting on an older chassis. You mean the 1969 truck is sitting on an older chassis?

If I am getting the split part, that is WWII, and a totally different, non-synchro transmission, and you don't want to use that in a 1969 era vehicle. That would be a step backward.
          Yes, the body is on id say an early 60's chassis. Its got a PTO winch, if that helps identify anything. Id love to find some serial numbers on the chassis, and trans to look up, but the truck is currently about 30 minutes away at my grampas.

Comment

What do you mean by split transfer case?

Comment

Scratch that, sorry. I was misinformed. I think it was divorced? Does that make more sense?

Comment

Divorced simply means there is a drive shaft between the transfer case and the transmission. That is true of Dodge over a very wide range of years.

Comment

Yes, the body is on id say an early 60's chassis. Its got a PTO winch, if that helps identify anything. Id love to find some serial numbers on the chassis, and trans to look up, but the truck is currently about 30 minutes away at my grampas.
                  Drop by and visit your Grandad. When you're there, look at the
                  frame rail on the right front. Somewhere on that portion of frame
                  [above the axle], you'll find the VIN#. You can then go to:
                  www.sweptline.com where the VIN# can be decoded to give
                  you the year of your frame. As '69 was the year that Sweptlines
                  changed from hydraulic to mechanical clutches, identifying exactly
                  what you're working with is crucial. Other design changes were
                  implemented in the '69 model year as well such as wiring harness,
                  steering column, dashboard design, etc.. If possible, post up some
                  pics of the undercarriage and the body too. The standard 4spd tranny for
                  the '65-'71 was the NP435. The spline count changed from ten to
                  twenty-three in '69. The bell housing cross member was phased out
                  in '69 as well in favor of a tail housing cross member.
                  John

Comment

'69 was the first year for the NP205 single stick
                    transfer case. The twin stick NP201 was used from
                    '61 through '68. Forgot to mention that above....
                    John

Comment

Originally posted by Hobcobble View Post
                      Drop by and visit your Grandad. When you're there, look at the
                      frame rail on the right front. Somewhere on that portion of frame
                      [above the axle], you'll find the VIN#. You can then go to:
                      www.sweptline.com where the VIN# can be decoded to give
                      you the year of your frame. As '69 was the year that Sweptlines
                      changed from hydraulic to mechanical clutches, identifying exactly
                      what you're working with is crucial. Other design changes were
                      implemented in the '69 model year as well such as wiring harness,
                      steering column, dashboard design, etc.. If possible, post up some
                      pics of the undercarriage and the body too. The standard 4spd tranny for
                      the '65-'71 was the NP435. The spline count changed from ten to
                      twenty-three in '69. The bell housing cross member was phased out
                      in '69 as well in favor of a tail housing cross member.
                      John

Thank you very much. This is really useful info. I have found out today that the trans is in fact a New Process 435. Im not sure about the transfer case. I think it is a single stick.

Comment

Thank you very much. This is really useful info. I have found out today that the trans is in fact a New Process 435. Im not sure about the transfer case. I think it is a single stick.
                        More than likely, it'll be the NP205 t-case.
                        John

Comment

Working...
                        X