69 W300 8ft bed ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 69 W300 8ft bed ?

I have a 69 w300 that presently has a dump bed I think from a 80's Ford which i am going to remove. I know a 9' bed would be correct but as they are hard to find and usually expensive am thinking of a 8' bed. Any reason I would have a major problem with a 8' bed. I have one from a 76 d100 that I may be able to use.

You'll end up with a gap between the cab and the headboard of the bed. Mounting points may be in different locations too.

Comment

I figured on a difference on the mounting points, can always fab up something to make that work. I will have to think a little on the space between the cab and the headboard. Still not sure what I am going to do but the bed is shot, bones are good it still functions as a dump, I could repair the dump bed but something I have no need for.

Comment

Seeing as the head board bolts onto the box sides just forward of
        the front stake pockets, I would think you could fashion a bolt on
        "filler" panel to take up the space. Just put a solid piece on the top
        between the head board and cab and you might have something.....
        I'm contemplating doing just this for a 114" wheel base Utiline box
        I'd like to stick on a 122" 1962 D100 Sweptline I own. Just my
        two pennies....
        John

Comment

You could fab up a rack of sorts for things like chains, pry bars, and shovels. Around here some city kid would put exhaust stacks of a silly size in that space.

Comment

Good ideas I had thought about a filler panel but the headache rack is another good option. I removed the dump bed yesterday and measured the frame it is about 98-99" which is close to 8'(96") so not sure if the frame was shortened or the 9' beds have some hangover at the rear. Going to clean things up a bit and get some paint on the frame for now.

Comment

It's the distance from the rear of the cab to the wheel centerline that you need to be concerned with. Frame may have been bobbed for the dump bed.

Comment

Good point it looks like I would have to fill about 4" by the cab. I have another option a stake bed but it also comes up short its about 89" but it might be easier to make it fit. I will have to think a bit about the best way to go. These are parts I have available so I am trying to get a bed on with what I have to work with.

Comment

Similar challenge

Removed a 9 ft utiline bed from the 74 w300 , plan on replacing it with an 8ft utiline and adding a roll bar in the gap.

Comment

Sounds like a good option wish I could find a decent utline bed but been looking for about a month and all I see are chevy and ford beds locally.

Comment

Well to answer my own question about beds I have installed a bed from a 92 F250 (got it for free) fits ok but a little too narrow at the wheels wells. The truck has dual springs in the back and the bed sits about 5" over the tires. Works for now may need to make some adjustments once I get it on the road. This is hopefully a temporary until I find a more suitable bed at a reasonable cost. I did have this truck for sale but was able to sell a 79 gmc I had so should be able to keep this
                      Below is a shot of the 250 bed I do have the taillights just not installed yet.

Comment

Do you know Chris Irick from Vincenttown?

Comment

I Don't think so

Comment

Hi Old Mopar, Chris is occasionally on another PW websight. Can basically rebuild a Power Wagon, W series or flat fender with his eyes closed. Has a wealth of knowledge in his head, lately he's been working on early model Challengers, but if you contact him, he may have answers you've been seeking. He was on this sight also a while back. I really can't give all info, but if you look, you'll find his info. Others on this web sight may know him, and he does know everything Power Wagon.

Comment

Thanks Joe I know who you mean seen his name he is on the Dodge PW forum just have not met him in person. My main problem was fitting the incorrect bed on the truck the one I have now is good enough to get me on the road. Still doing some minor mechanical work. Need to replace the water pump, brake booster and will be installing a new manifold and carb , have the parts on hand just have to work around this holiday stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X