Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie with a W500

Hello all,
    I just joined up to do some homework on my latest project - a 66 W500 dump. Just bought it on Ebay and am making the trip to IL next weekend to pick it up.

We've been looking for a HD dump truck for some work around the property - hauling gravel, scaring the neighbors, the usual stuff...and this will fit the bill nicely.

I've had several W200s and other 4x4's over the years - in fact my username is the nickname we had for a 78 W200 Club cab that was my first 4wd. It had the Hank Williams phoenix painted on the hood (not me!) but we all called it a screaming chicken instead.

Looking for information on lockouts and just anything in general thats special to the 2 ton PW's. Current owner says it's been sitting since 94 but was a good runner before leaky wheel cylinders put it out of service.

There's a 10' plow included but can't imagine what I'd plow with it around here!? And a spare cab and doghouse I've got to haul 4 hours home somehow!

Thanks for listening,
    Shaun in Cincinnati

Welcome to the group, you have a great find. Several here have W500's. I gather you have no lockouts? One way to find them is to buy a parts hulk that has them. I believe there are also some new, repro units, but they are spendy.
    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Shaun,

Hey congratulations! Looking forward to more info details and your pland and progress.

If you need lockouts for the W500, contact Dan at Power Wagon Lockers, he's building some beautiful strong reproduction units.

I was watching the truck on e-bay along with the guys PW, and was wondering if the W500 had Power Assist Steering, as I need pictures of a set up so I can see if I have the right parts for my W500.

Again good look and keep us posted on the truck!

Will
      My Power Wagons
      I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
      Will
      WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
      1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
      1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
      1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
      2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

Thanks guys! I'll be sure to check into the steering issue for you.

For the moment, does anyone have the outside to outside measurement of the front tires? My equipment trailer has raised fenders @ 82" wide. The seller of the truck listed width as 77" (same as my one ton duallys), but someone else said 85". 77 seems a little narrow for a 2 ton truck?

Comment

Well, I was surprised. I measured my '64 W500 front and here is the measurements:

Outside of tire to tire (rubber bulge to bulge, 8.25x20 tires): ~79"
          Outside of wheel center to center (outer dish surface): ~82"
          Outside of hub to hub (mine has lock-out Hubs): ~88"

Weight should be your other concern. Granted mine was a Fire Truck, but I was surprised it weighed 14,430 pounds!

I rented a 27'-102" deck over goose neck trailer to haul mine home on. PIX

Thanks,
          Will
          WAWII.com

Comment

Will,
            What sort of place did you rent the trailer you mention?
            When I have to move my W500, I will also need to rent as my gooseneck has the raised fenders so too narrow for a W500.

Also, I did buy a power steering set up that came off a D500 truck. I am a ways away from seeing how it fits up, but will post at that time.

Tentative plan is to "oursource" the build on this, as I mentioned in Iowa.

Comment

Doc Dave,

I rented it from a rental place. It was their equipment trailer, and I could only rent it over a weekend so as to not interrupt any other equipment rentals.

I've also picked up a D500 Power Assist set up, and will be trying to figure out how to make it work as well. the drag length isn't the same length or shape, so it might be a little fun to fit.

Thanks,
              Will
              WAWII.com

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
                Will,
                What sort of place did you rent the trailer you mention?
                When I have to move my W500, I will also need to rent as my gooseneck has the raised fenders so too narrow for a W500.

Also, I did buy a power steering set up that came off a D500 truck. I am a ways away from seeing how it fits up, but will post at that time.

Tentative plan is to "oursource" the build on this, as I mentioned in Iowa.
                Hi Dave. Before you start putting that power steering setup on your W500, you may want to give Mike Fleig in Fairfield a call and get his 2 cents worth on the idea of reusing power steering setups.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, Clint.
                  I wonder if I should have it rebuilt for safeties sake? I guess Mike F would know.
                  I am a ways from that. I am slowly building the M37 now, the operative word is slow as my business partner had to retire unexpectedly due to health so I am working a lot more right now.

Comment

Originally posted by W_A_Watson_II View Post
                    Doc Dave,

I rented it from a rental place. It was their equipment trailer, and I could only rent it over a weekend so as to not interrupt any other equipment rentals.

I've also picked up a D500 Power Assist set up, and will be trying to figure out how to make it work as well. the drag length isn't the same length or shape, so it might be a little fun to fit.
                    That should make a great PWA article, I would think!

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Dave View Post
                      That should make a great PWA article, I would think!
                      A great idea, I must say....
                      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I have a 66 W500, and probably most of the parts you need, including front locking hubs.

The 85" measurement that I listed in another thread was off of my W600, which uses a totally different sideloader Rockwell front axle.

Comment

Originally posted by W_A_Watson_II View Post
                          Well, I was surprised. I measured my '64 W500 front and here is the measurements:

Outside of tire to tire (rubber bulge to bulge, 8.25x20 tires): ~79"
                          Outside of wheel center to center (outer dish surface): ~82"
                          Outside of hub to hub (mine has lock-out Hubs): ~88"

Weight should be your other concern. Granted mine was a Fire Truck, but I was surprised it weighed 14,430 pounds!

I rented a 27'-102" deck over goose neck trailer to haul mine home on. PIX
                          I'd found some of your posts online while trying to decide how to haul the ebay truck. They were helpful! As of today I've got a 14k drag on reserve at the rental place. The only problem with that is my 12k is setup for a recovery winch, and something will have to be rigged up for the rental trailer. Wonder if they'll let me drill couple holes? Hmmm...

I think the cab/chassis weight is listed at 8k for the standard wheelbase w500. Does your fire equip really weigh 4-5k lbs?! Did you empty the water tank? LOL

Comment

Always glad to help. Glad my post were informative. My W500 PW page is here: http://powerwagon.wawii.com/W500.htm

I was guessing based on others W500 weights that I would be in the 11-12.5K range on the W500, but was wrong. I weighed the truck (with out water or fuel) while on the trailer and behind my 3500. I then weighed the 3500 and trailer while returning the trailer to get the trucks actual weight. I'm just glad the DOT didn't stop me while hauling the truck home.

As you can see the truck has one hefty cast iron pump, and ~30 gallons of rust and dirt in the water tank.

Thanks,
                            Will
                            WAWII.com

Comment

Those part numbers will definitely come in handy. I've got a 84 GMC mini pumper that's built on a 3500 4x4 chassis, but its not as cool as yours :)

Are the lockouts useful on a truck that size? Or is it just a matter of saving wear and tear on the front end?

Does installation require any kind of t-case modifications? A buddy did a Mile-Marker install on a w200 years ago and it was a LOT of work. I think it required some changes inside the transfer case.

Comment

Working...
                              X