She's on her way home...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She's on her way home...

No pics yet but the W500 dump is on a trailer headed for my house as I write this. I had to hire a local company to deliver it, as the heavy duty trailer they'd promised to rent me was tied up with another customer. In the end it worked out to a little more than it would have cost to do it myself.

The only bummer was that the spare cab was junk, and the plow blade was buried under 3 cords of firewood.

The seller had said there was "just a little poison ivy" to get through to grab the blade, but I guess several trees grew up in the last few years and managed to cut and stack themselves around the plow ;)

It was completely inaccessible, even to drag with a winch...

And the clutch is supposedly "stuck open" so it won't go into gear. Going to be fun parking it in the yard tomorrow :D

Pics to follow.

Glad its headed to you. When I went after mine we had to spend an extra 2 hrs & use a flame wrench to remove a 15' flatbed full of scrap iron, then use a tractor to pull the non runner aboard our gooseneck. A sign of things to come....

Bucky

Comment

Bucky you put a lot of work into just getting it home :)

After all the hand wringing I did over being overweight on the trailer, would my dually have the guts to pull it, making phone calls to the trailer company to check specs...the delivery guy pulls in with a newer F150 4x4 and a gooseneck trailer. I can see why he was worried if there were any big hills near my house, as the 4.6 was really working hard. Go figure!

The truck itself is really solid - will need a little work around the drivers floor/body mount and passenger rocker, and the roof is caved pretty deep and the hood has some dents. The spare hood that came with it is a 69 and won't interchange, so that's a bummer.

Interior is fair except for all the snake skins and a pack of condoms in the glovebox. Bed is full of wet leaves but it doesn't appear to have rusted the bed through. Gas tank has a rust hole about halfway up, below the filler neck, and the ride home splashed rancid fuel all over the floor and step-board.

I'm afraid the motor seems to be stuck, which is really disappointing as the seller said he'd tried to start it just recently but couldn't get spark. He probably knew it too, as the inspection cover was removed and tossed in the bed, probably so they could try to turn the flywheel with a prybar. Really not looking forward to doing an in-frame rebuild so hopefully it will free up.

Pulled the plugs and all looked good except one that had surface rust, so that's probably the culprit. Made a quick mix of used motor oil and seafoam to pour in the cylinders.

Comment

more pics

Comment

couple more

homemade tool box in the inner fender

Comment

What do you think this giant bracket was used for? Tying down a salt box?
            Also noticed it has a double frame...wow!

Was expecting the transfer case and driveline to be more beefy. The driveshaft isn't much bigger than my one ton truck. Is this a weak point on these trucks?

Comment

On the stuck engine did you remove the starter motor. I have seen a frozen starter motor keep engine from turning by hand.

Comment

The transfer case is plenty hefty, but yes those driveshafts are kinda puney. Especially the rear one.

All W500/600's (to my knowledge) had the double frame section. And that bracket may very well be for such a salt/sand box. My W600 was originally a DOT plow truck with spreader & it has a bracket on each side.

Axles probably don't have any type of limited slip diffferential either.

I wish you were closer. I have a ton (ok 3-4 tons haha) of stuff you could use.

Thanks for posting those pics.... and for buying that truck instead of possibly letting it got to the scrapper.

Bucky

Comment

The guy that delivered the truck or trailer hauled it with an F-150 with a 4.6?

Oh great looking truck. What did it weigh?
                  I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                  Will
                  WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                  1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                  1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                  1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                  2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

And I'm impressed with that 4.6 F150 pulling that load. Thats a minimum of 12-13K total including the trailer.

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post

I wish you were closer. I have a ton (ok 3-4 tons haha) of stuff you could use.

Thanks for posting those pics.... and for buying that truck instead of possibly letting it got to the scrapper.

Bucky
                      That's tempting, I'll have to look you up if I'm ever out that way. :)

Originally posted by W_A_Watson_II View Post
                      The guy that delivered the truck or trailer hauled it with an F-150 with a 4.6?

Oh great looking truck. What did it weigh?
                      I don't have a weight slip, but we were guessing 10-11k plus the trailer, which is at least 3500lbs. It wasn't a safe haul I guess, but I'm amazed what these newer trucks will do. A friend of a friend bought a '12 F150 FX4 with the 3.5 turbo engine, and they're rated for 1900 lbs payload and 11,300 lbs towing. Incredible.

Oldmopar, I checked the starter and there are no binding issues but thanks for a good idea.

Comment

Based on the Pix I'd say the truck and trailer were probably 15,500 pounds. And that's a lot of weight not only behind an F-150, but behind a 4.6!

Look forward to more on the W500 though.
                        I drive a DODGE, not a ram!

Thanks,
                        Will
                        WAWII.com

1946 WDX Power Wagon - "Missouri Mule"
                        1953 M37 - "Frankenstein"
                        1993 Jeep YJ - "Will Power"
                        1984 Dodge Ramcharger - "2014 Ramcharger"
                        2006 3500 DRW 4WD Mega Cab - "Power Wagon Hauler"

Comment

What did P.T.Barnum say?

Comment

Originally posted by ScreaminChicken View Post

And the clutch is supposedly "stuck open" so it won't go into gear. Going to be fun parking it in the yard tomorrow :D

Pics to follow.
                            Do yourself a favor and get a stainless steel sleeved
                            clutch master and slave cylinder. Your disc is likely
                            "welded" to the flywheel, from the sounds of it. At
                            least the truck is high enough off the ground to make
                            installation of new clutch parts easier. You can get the
                            10 spline clutch parts from:
                            www.hrclutch.com
                            John

Comment

Originally posted by dougdodgeman View Post
                              What did P.T.Barnum say?

"Step right up folks...the show is about to begin" :D

Comment

Working...
                              X