Sweptline Tailgates ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweptline Tailgates ?

hey gabriel here again , im thinking of buying a 65 sweptline pickup , going to look at it tomorrow , i know im getting into another project but i just gotta buy as many trucks as i can hahahaha currenty have a 66 powerwagon on the go with the stepside box i know/ the step side tailgates are avalible for reproductions but what about the sweptside tailgates ? i havent had any luck online could anyone help a guy out ? if no reproductions are avalible anyone have a sweptside tailgate they want to sell

There you are. I was beginning to think you fell off the face of the earth or got eaten by a bear. LOL No repopped tailgates that I know of. I do have your parts we talked about ready to ship for $50. Drop me an email so we can hook up if you still want the bolt and cab insulators. 59redtruck(at)frontier.com you know what to do with the (at). It always starts with ONE truck hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by GABE G 1966 w100 View Post
      hey gabriel here again , im thinking of buying a 65 sweptline pickup , going to look at it tomorrow , i know im getting into another project but i just gotta buy as many trucks as i can hahahaha currenty have a 66 powerwagon on the go with the stepside box i know/ the step side tailgates are avalible for reproductions but what about the sweptside tailgates ? i havent had any luck online could anyone help a guy out ? if no reproductions are avalible anyone have a sweptside tailgate they want to sell
      The Dodge term for the "step side" box is Utiline. There are no re-popped
      wide box tailgates available. Just so you know, there was a change in
      mid-1965 for Sweptline 100/200 series trucks. The wide box tailgate on an
      early '65 will not work on a mid-'65 or newer Sweptline box. Good tailgates are
      sort of a rare thing so the best of luck in your search. From time to time, they
      pop up over on Scott's site at www.sweptline.org
      John

Comment

Kenny Exline is working on making reproduction tailgates and tailgate bottom patch panels. ...And they will probably cost about the same as an old beat up tailgate from Scott!

Comment

Originally posted by demulsion View Post
          Kenny Exline is working on making reproduction tailgates and tailgate bottom patch panels. ...And they will probably cost about the same as an old beat up tailgate from Scott!
          Hmmm..... I didn't know Scott had tailgates for sale? I'm referring to
          the website itself. Over the years, I've seen many decent tailgates
          sell from that site. As a matter of fact, I picked up a near mint early
          wide box gate from a fellow member for under $200. I also purchased
          a mint '67 wide box tailgate for a local friend who does not have a
          computer. It was taken off and stored 40+ years ago when the original
          owner bought a slide in camper. This cost $350 which included shipping.

It is also a good idea to keep an eye on Norm's www.dodgesweptline.org
          site. As of late, new administrative staff have been added and the site
          is in the "revival" stage. I have noticed some recent activity in the
          For Sale & Wanted section which is a very good sign! I've met up in
          person a couple of times with one of the new moderators Norm & Phil
          brought on board and know that things are in excellent hands there.
          Mark was a regular on both Norm's & Chris's sites and has years of
          mechanical & restoration experience to his credit.

Furthermore..... Don't forget Ebay. Every so often, one will pop up in decent
          shape at a reasonable price.

I'm very encouraged with the efforts Kenny [Exline] has put forth to offer
          replacement panels. I have plans on using them on two of my current
          project Sweptlines. If he also comes up with a nice replacement tailgate,
          all the better for everyone. Finally!..... us Sweptline enthusiasts have a
          decent source for body panels!
          John

Comment

Here ya go.....

http://www.sweptline.org/forums/view...p?f=32&t=31614
            This might suit your needs.....
            John

Comment

Originally posted by Hobcobble View Post
              http://www.sweptline.org/forums/view...p?f=32&t=31614
              This might suit your needs.....
              John
              This is for a '61 through early '65 wide box.
              John

Comment

I hope to have new tailgates available but I am not sure how long it will be yet, at least 2 more weeks until I finish the first one. The originals were 16 Ga and I want to keep the same thickness with the new ones. I have the basic plan now on how I hope to make them I just need to finish up my jig to form them on. I will post them on the web site as soon as I finish them.
                http://www.exlinecustomauto.com/custom-services.html
                the first ones will be for the mid 1965 and up beds.

Comment

Great news!
                  Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Thought I would post an update on the new tailgates I am working on. The original ones are made of heavy 16Ga so I am trying to use the same thickness on the new ones, even though it would be a lot easier in 18 Ga. I made most of the first one last week and and it came out pretty good. I need to do a little rework to my bending machine to make the bends a little better. once I have the main part worked out all I need to do Is make the end pieces and trim the holes and make an assembly jig then it will be done. So it looks like I am going to be able to make them now its just a matter of finding the time to finish the fabrication and assembly method.

Kenny

Comment

I have The new tailgates ready. I am making them in 18 Ga because I had a lot of trouble forming the 16 Ga. Even in 18 Ga they are very strong. I can stand on it after it is mounted and it does not bend , so unless you are going to be throwing a lot of weight on it , it should hold up fine. most of the truck is made of 18 Ga anyway including the original floor pans.
                      I may continue to try making them in the original thickness of 16 Ga but I will need to build some heavier tooling first so I am not sure when that will happen.
                      http://www.exlinecustomauto.com/custom-services.html
                      Attached Files

Comment

Very nice!
                        Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

just an update on tailgates. I am also able to make the early 61 tailgates now.
                          I don't stamp the dodge letters into them but I can graft in an original middle with the letters so that it looks factory.
                          here is a picture of a 1964 tailgate that I made and grafted in the dodge letters.
                          Attached Files

Comment

These are a work of art. Thank you for making them and all
                            of your other Sweptline parts available to us.
                            John

Comment

Working...
                            X