16" 8 lug Dodge Rim Blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16" 8 lug Dodge Rim Blues

My 1969 Dodge W200 had a set of 16.5" rims with it when I purchased it and after looking for tires, i hunted down a set of Dodge 8 lug rims based on advice I had read on several forums. I stayed away from other makes of 8 lug rims for the various reasons and read that 1994 and above Dodges used 9/16" studs.

Well, I purchased 5 rims off of a nice 1993 dodge 3/4 ton and the center opening is smaller than the Spicer 60 rear hub on a 1969. Theses are stock steel 8 lug riveted rims from a 1993 complete with the Chrysler Pentastar logo on them. My next step will be to find a machinist that can open them to fit the hub.

The blues part is that I assumed they would work based on the research from the Internet and subsequently had the new BFG Mud Terrains mounted on the freshly powder coated rims. I thought the least I could do was post here to help someone avoid my expensive mistake. Measuring the opening and hub would have avoided this trap.

Not all Dodge stock 16" rims are created equal, some are built like the Chevys I avoided in the beginning of my hunt and won't clear the rear hubs.

Thanks for the heads up!

Since both the 1993 & your 1969 had Dana 60 rears, I would have made the same assumption as you (thinking wheel center holes would be same).

I hope you get yours to where they fit.

I encountered a similar situation with an 85 D300 SRW crew cab. One of the front wheels (non-Dodge probably) wouldn't go onto the rear axle, because of that same reason.

Bucky

Comment

The 70's,80's 1 ton ford wheels (ones with the hand holes) should fit. My 69 w300 came with 2 on the front. The center hole is a little larger then dodge but if you run duals the ford rims are not coined like the dodge.

Comment

Taking the Steels to 1969

I am very fortunate to have some really good friends, one of them being Bob Wilson of Wilson Welding and Machine in Flower Mound, Texas. Bob is well known in the Hot Rod world where his reproduction Lincoln and Buick brakes grace covers of magazines like Hot Rod Deluxe, Rod and Custom and others. Bob is an Ace machinist and he is also a very nice guy who is always willing to help out a friend in need.

Bob machined the hub opening on the 1993 Dodge 3/4 ton steel rims to the needed 4 7/8" to clear the rear 1969 Dana 60" hubs. I can't tell you how much I appreciated him taking on the job and saving those rims!

I hope this thread helps others avoid the mistake that I made thinking that every Dodge 8 lug rim would work from '93 and back. I thought I had done my homework using the internet to confirm which 8 lugs would fit the late 60s W200s. I should have pulled the rear rims and taken accurate measurements of the hub prior to purchasing rims. Thanks for all the replies and help guys. Mark
        Last edited by 69powerwagon; 09-17-2013, 05:57 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...
        X