W500 1963 Warn Hubs and further questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W500 1963 Warn Hubs and further questions

I have a new to me W500 which is quite unusual(more to come on that issue!) and the hubs are in need of unsticking and probably a good cleaning as well.
    Questions:
    1. There is a hole in the flange (at about 5:30 in the picture) that appears to be factory. It seems to have a stud or pilot in it. At first I thought it was a broken cap screw but these are 8 hole flanges and that is an extra hole. What is it?
    2. What model Warn hubs are these?
    3. if I want to clean them, can I just remove the 8 cap screws or will all **** break loose?
    4. Can I also remove the 6 Allen screws?
    5. What should I do or not do to clean them?
    Attached Files

It is my understanding that the hole you mentioned is used to "push" the hub off (after removing the 8 bolts). There should be another such hole directly across from that one (11:30 position). Mine has them.

I can't further help you, because I have yet to remove mine. I do know a snap ring is reported to be inside somewhere, haven't gotten that far.

A gentleman named Dan Shockley reproduced some of these hubs a few years back. I believe he may have some left, not certain.
    Here's a link to his page.

http://www.powerwagonlocker.com/w500-hubs.html

Removing the 6 Allen screws will only get the outer half of the hub off.

Are your hubs stuck in the "lock" position, or "free"? If stuck in the "lock" position there possibly might be a bind in the drivetrain, preventing them from being turning. To eliminate the bind, just jack the front tires off of the ground.

Bucky

Comment

I believe the model is Warn M72

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
        It is my understanding that the hole you mentioned is used to "push" the hub off (after removing the 8 bolts). There should be another such hole directly across from that one (11:30 position). Mine has them.

Bucky
        Bucky you are correct. There is another hole opposite that one, purpose unknown so far.
        The hubs are not really stuck but bound up. I have been able to nudge them around with gentle taps with a hammer and a cutoff piece of broomstick. They are far from being able to be turned by fingers.

We are slated for another 6 inches of snow tonight so I will wait till this weekend to play more.

Comment

I believe the model is Warn M72

Bucky
          I put some citrus based stripper on the outside parts including the handhold and softly rubbed the scungy paint off. The raised plate says M24.

Comment

Originally posted by Connecticut Yank View Post
            I put some citrus based stripper on the outside parts including the handhold and softly rubbed the scungy paint off. The raised plate says M24.
            That is good to know. I am not certain how many different varieties of hubs were offered on the W500's over the years. Some even had drive flanges.

Bucky

Comment

That is good to know. I am not certain how many different varieties of hubs were offered on the W500's over the years. Some even had drive flanges.

Bucky
              Bucky
              At the risk of Gordon's laughter, what is a drive flange?

Comment

Originally posted by Connecticut Yank View Post
                Bucky
                At the risk of Gordon's laughter, what is a drive flange?
                All questions are good.

A drive flange is what is present if the truck does not have lockout hubs.

It is bolted to the hub, as a lockout would be, and it has internal splines causing it to engage directly with the outer axle shaft. It always drives and can't lock out.
                Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Drive flange

Here's a drive flange on a W600

Bucky
                  Attached Files

Comment

What is the purpose of the inner circle of (4) bolts?
                    Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

I can't further help you, because I have yet to remove mine. I do know a snap ring is reported to be inside somewhere, haven't gotten that far.

A gentleman named Dan Shockley reproduced some of these hubs a few years back. I believe he may have some left, not certain.
                      Here's a link to his page.

http://www.powerwagonlocker.com/w500-hubs.html

Removing the 6 Allen screws will only get the outer half of the hub off.

Are your hubs stuck in the "lock" position, or "free"? If stuck in the "lock" position there possibly might be a bind in the drivetrain, preventing them from being turning. To eliminate the bind, just jack the front tires off of the ground.

Bucky
                      That would be a good idea, get it up off the ground if possible. Even have some rock other wheel back and fourth while you try turning knob. I know my old Selectro's would bind up but I had a locker at that time.

Comment

Pismo the Warn hub expert

As soon as the new snow dissipates I will see how my PB Blaster injection is working. I am not really stuck or frozen, but more like in suspended animation.
                        Pismo- what's your email?

Comment

Kinda like "no I'm not stuck just temporarily immobile"

pismopowerwagon@aol.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Maney View Post
                            What is the purpose of the inner circle of (4) bolts?
                            I am not certain, but would guess some sort of bolt-on dust cap.
                            I have never had either the cap or the flange off.

Oddly, I bought a set of selector type locking hubs off of Ebay for $99, about 3 yrs before I even bought a W600 to put them on.

Bucky

Comment

Oddly, I bought a set of selector type locking hubs off of Ebay for $99, about 3 yrs before I even bought a W600 to put them on.

Bucky
                              Now that is the kind of forward thinking that none of our spousal units ever appreciates. At least mine doesn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X