Transfer case questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer case questions

I have been working on a NP 201 transfer case for my W100. What was the purpose of the knock gear? Why the springs? 3 of the 6 springs in my replacement case are broken., I have rebuilt 4 NP 201 cases every one has had broken springs. That is 100% failure!. I replaced them with a gear from a NP 200 . I know some guys weld them. How is that done?

My understanding is that it was to take some of the direct shock out of the driveline when you engage the four wheel drive.
    We welded the knock gear in an NP201 this year during the rally. I believe 3 of the 6 springs were broke in it as well.
    It was clattering quite a bit. To weld it we loaded it so to speak, with pressure against the springs. And wilded the inner to the outer.
    possibly Andy Carlson will chime in hear and verify my answer he is who welded the gear in place.
    And yes you can directly replace it with the NP200 gear.
    1967 W200.aka.Hank
    1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
    2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

I am still chasing noises in this case ..
      May 26 at 2:33pm
      My 1968 W100 3 speed and 201 transfer case has a noise in the drive line . It is worst on the coast side of 2nd gear. a harsh growl as you let up on the fuel. With the rear drive shaft off the noise is in every gear,but it sounds like marbles in a blender. Case seems much quieter running in reverse . The transmission is quiet in all gears with the driveshaft off The transfer case spins free and seems quite when turned by hand. Before i tear into the case. Anyone had similar issues

Comment

Working...
      X