Death Wobble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Wobble

Hi folks. I have a death wobble on my 62 W300. With the shift boot off I can see the drag link, center link, the bar that steers the wheels just shaking and my steering wheel shimmys bad. The usually happens around 35-40mph. I measured my toe in and there is a difference of 1-1/2. They don't make a replacement drag link and it appears bent at the point where the adjuster is. What should I look at first? Tires and tubes are new. But suspension could use a rebuild but I just can't seem to source the parts.

Jack up the front end and see if you have anything possibly more wore than others, shake your tire and wheel from top to bottom, see how the knuckle bushings are.
    Also are you referring to an 1 1/2 of toe in or toe out?
    1967 W200.aka.Hank
    1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
    2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

It would be toe in. When I did the front breaks there was no movement up/down or side/side when I put the tires back on. But the front suspension componants are worn. The truck lived a hard life on NO roads.

Comment

To me that seems like a lot of toe in, if i am thinking about this correctly, measuring on a similar surface rear of tire compared to front of the front tire if you have 1.5 inches of toe in. I believe that is way to much. When I do a tape measure alignment on a Power Wagon or M37 I shoot for right around a 1/4 inch of toe in? Could be as you say though a combination of various worn steering and suspension issues.
        1967 W200.aka.Hank
        1946 WDX.aka.Shorty
        2012 Ram 2500 PowerWagon.aka Ollie

Life is easier in a lower gear.

Comment

yup 1/4 inch toe IN at most

Comment

rockauto has some parts
            RockAuto ships auto parts and body parts from over 300 manufacturers to customers' doors worldwide, all at warehouse prices. Easy to use parts catalog.

Comment

Working...
            X