Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for dimensions on a 1962-1964 W500 Power Wagon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for dimensions on a 1962-1964 W500 Power Wagon.

Greetings! So I'm going to start out saying that the reason for this is not because I own one (I would if I could in a heartbeat) but because I am currently working on building a game and one of the vehicles is this. I've tried everywhere to find these without having to bother the people on here but I can't get any information, no body builder diagram or anything. Watson's pics with his old fire truck didn't even help.

I'd like the measurements from front bumper (the upper bumper with the 4 holes) to rear frame crossmember, the width of the truck and the inside measurements of the grille support with the lights. If anyone wants to measure more i'd love it but I don't want to ask too much with this weird request.

I wish I could help you but I sold my 65 W500 a few years back. I do think the grill support measurements you are seeking would be the same as the 100,200, & 300 series pick-ups of the same years.
    The width of the cab is the same too except for mirrors, fender flares & steps. The axles are obviously wider and a gas tank may be mounted outside the frame rails, which would be wider too.

As far as distance from front bumper to rear crossmember, keep in mind the W500 came in 157" or 175" wheelbase.

Here is a link to a registry where you can search:

http://www.sweptline.org/SweptlineRegistry/index.php

I think there are a dozen or so W500 listed, including the one I owned. A D500 would have almost identical dimensions.

Bucky

Comment

The link I posted is partially defunct I suppose. I was able to bring of the gallery but could not access any of the individual postings.

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
        I wish I could help you but I sold my 65 W500 a few years back. I do think the grill support measurements you are seeking would be the same as the 100,200, & 300 series pick-ups of the same years.
        The width of the cab is the same too except for mirrors, fender flares & steps. The axles are obviously wider and a gas tank may be mounted outside the frame rails, which would be wider too.

As far as distance from front bumper to rear crossmember, keep in mind the W500 came in 157" or 175" wheelbase.

Here is a link to a registry where you can search:

http://www.sweptline.org/SweptlineRegistry/index.php

I think there are a dozen or so W500 listed, including the one I owned. A D500 would have almost identical dimensions.

Bucky
        Thank you for your help Bucky. I didn't know that the cabs were the same considering the difference in expected work between the two. I would assume the frames are different however which im having the hardest time trying to find measurements for. I can't find any drawings and any old brochures are priced 30-50 bucks which I don't have. There's somehow no body builders diagrams either.

Comment

You are correct. The frames are significantly different. The W500 frames are much taller, thicker & I believe the rails are a different distance apart. The cabs have a flatter floor which causes the cabin to sit higher up in relation to the frame compared to 100/200 series trucks. This is why a filler (valance) panel is used on the front below the grill, behind the front bumper.
          Also W500 frames are doubled (two flat pieces riveted together) in the section of the rails between the front & rear axles.

Just so you know, the W500 cab dimensionally stayed the same from 1961 through 1973. The grills & door handles were the most significant changes during that era. And a 2wd D500/600/700/800 of that era would have same cab/frame, but the fender flares may be smaller.

I have a FSM which shows the frame dimensions for the 74-77 W600 trucks, as well as an actual truck sitting in my yard, but this does you little good as if differs some from the years you are looking for.

If you ask on the forum of this website you may get a response. I know 2-3 of the guys there own W500's

https://dodgepowerwagon.com/

Bucky

Comment

Originally posted by 712edf View Post
            You are correct. The frames are significantly different. The W500 frames are much taller, thicker & I believe the rails are a different distance apart. The cabs have a flatter floor which causes the cabin to sit higher up in relation to the frame compared to 100/200 series trucks. This is why a filler (valance) panel is used on the front below the grill, behind the front bumper.
            Also W500 frames are doubled (two flat pieces riveted together) in the section of the rails between the front & rear axles.

Just so you know, the W500 cab dimensionally stayed the same from 1961 through 1973. The grills & door handles were the most significant changes during that era. And a 2wd D500/600/700/800 of that era would have same cab/frame, but the fender flares may be smaller.

I have a FSM which shows the frame dimensions for the 74-77 W600 trucks, as well as an actual truck sitting in my yard, but this does you little good as if differs some from the years you are looking for.

If you ask on the forum of this website you may get a response. I know 2-3 of the guys there own W500's

https://dodgepowerwagon.com/

Bucky
            Thank you for that and it should help. Are the hoods the same length and size on the pickup vs the w500? Because the cab is the same and if the hood is the same size as well then if i just find a drawing of those and build a frame to stick it on once i get the right size for that and my life is much easier.

Comment

Hood, doors, roof, all the glass, grill, cab shell is all the same. Only the floor of the cab is different & the fenders flare out further. The cab sits a smidgen higher on the frame plus frame itself is taller. Also they used 20" wheels & tire diameter comes out to be 37-40" tall. Plus the W500 had more leaves in the springs.......... So a W500 will be over a foot higher than a W200 parked next to it.

Bucky

Comment

Here are some links to pictures.

https://a2goos.com/data_images/galle...odge-w-500/?MA

Bucky

Comment

All frames on all trucks 1 ton and larger are 34" wide. It is a nationwide standard agreed upon by manufacturers so that various body builders would have a uniform dimension to build to.

Comment

I knew about the 34" standard during the 90's but didn't know how far back it went nor if it was still true for current offerings.

Yes it makes sense since most trucks that size don't have pick up beds but are specialty beds (service, flat, fire, winch/wrecker, etc.).

Bucky

Comment

Working...
                    X