W500 Cummins conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by onetonwagon View Post
    If I remember correctly, my '64 W-500 has about 4' of driveline, yokes and u-joints between the tranny ( mines a NP 540) and transfer case. Could a guy install a Gear Venders in that space and not have to worry about using it in 4 wd?

yeah, thats what I was thinking about doing. Only I am thinking about going with U.S. Gear overdrive unit. It is the same as the gear vendors except it is rated for 35,000. It has no restrictions on how/when to use. It can be used just like a 2 speed axle. That would give me 10 forward speeds. The only problem is price... about $2,200..... Maybe I will win the lottery that I don't play......
    http://www.usgear.cc/dual_range.htm

Comment

As a matter of fact I would choose the U.S. Gear unit as well. One thing about it, you only need one because they're very tough. If you decided to get a diferent truck, pull the o'drive and swap it over! They do come up on e-bay but usually still up around $1,500, and I'd rather pop for the new one than save only a few hundred and get a pig in a poke.

Comment

Now all I have to do is find a wrecked 1994-1998 dodge diesel 2wd truck with a 5speed and I will be good to go..

Comment

That's What I Did...

I went with a Gear Vendor because I had one & had pulled many a mammoth load with it behind me 3500 before it finally broke. I sent it to Gear Vendor & had it rebuilt for $800 rather than switch to a US Gear.
          The nice thing about using the 2WD Nv4500 is that you just barely have enough room to make it fit & then you have OD in both 2WD & 4WD.
          Did you ever get started on this project?
          Mine is ready to run but I need to find time for a few last details.

Comment

Working...
          X