1957 w500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 w500

Here's a neat old W500 that appears to get frequent use.

The Timken rear axle is different from my 66 W500, as is the t-case.

Front winch is a Tulsa, I believe driven off the t-case. Transmission PTO drives hydraulic dump bed.

Bucky
    Attached Files

57 w500

That looks like a nice one.

If anyone ever spots one that is being parted out, please let me know. I need a few parts that are 57 W500 specific and would like to return mine to original.

Dennis

Comment

rear pic of transmission

The PTO off of the transmission heads back to a pump for the hydraulic ram/dump bed.

Many of the components on this truck vary greatly from my 66 W500, including rear axle & transfer case.

Bucky
      Attached Files

Comment

Parts differences

Bucky,

Look at the tag on the front axle. They look about the same, but you will find that the one on the 57 is different that your 66 also.

57 was a one year, one time deal, one year body - one year drive train. That is why I'm looking for a parts 57 W500.

Dennis

Edit - I take that back, the 56 HW drive train was the same.

Comment

57 500's

I knew that the two front axles (57 vs 66) weren't identical. Also I noticed that the 57 has the steering box located in front of the axle (similar to 72-later light duty Dodges), while my 66 has the steering box behind the front axle.

So 57's must be odd ducks. There's not a lot of any year W500's floating around.

I am currently pursueing 70's Lifestlye era W600 which has an even different front axle (banjo style).

Also there was a 57? D500 there today that I got a shot of.

Bucky
          Attached Files

Comment

Bucky,

how is Ron Langford doing these days? I have not had a chance to talk to him for a few years.

Matt

Comment

57 w500

All the sources I know of say there were only 82 57 W500s built. But the serial number on mine says sequence number 89 so who knows. Some of the odd stuff on mine might be factory, because they ran out of the stuff they had been using. There is no evidence of that in any parts book I can find, so I doubt it and looking for the correct stuff.

Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by mattsoldmopars View Post
                how is Ron Langford doing these days? I have not had a chance to talk to him for a few years.

Matt
                I guess he is still welding. I have only met him once & have not seen him since. No one was around there the last couple of times we have been by. My dad stopped by there some time back and chatted with him. Always some interesting piece of equipment/machinery in the yard.

I have an old business card of his with a phone number. I don't know if it's still good. Tom Bean is about 20 miles from where my folks live. I'm am about 2 hrs from them.

Over on the sweptline site (Scott's) I put up a picture of a 61? D300 with a 9' dually utiline bed that was there. Nice collection of oddities.

Dennis, where did you find production numbers for W500's?

Are there pictures of yours?

Bucky

Comment

production #s

The numbers are Phil and Eric's, they are also on Joe's site if you dig far enough.

Comment

Working...
                  X