1977 M884

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1977 M884

This is my replacement for a CJ-5, I found that I needed a truck more than a Jeep, and this is what I found to tick the Wife off. It is a 1977 W-200 Power Wagon (M-884), it is an ex Del. Air National Guard W/ Communications shelter tie downs. The majority of the life of the truck was spent at Aberdeen Proving Grounds in MD. It was then sold to Amtrak and used as a yard truck, after not seeing must use there it was sold to a private owner in the Cecilton area. He stored it under a shelter for 4 yrs.
    Then came a day when his wife decided it was time to sell the truck, I happened to work with a cousin of the owner and inside pull getting it. It has 24,000 miles, a 360-2bbl, all black-out lighting still works, a rust spot in both front fenders at the bottom about the size of a ciggarete, and no extras!, just as the Military likes them.
    Attached Files

Another shot of her
    Attached Files

Comment

And finally the inside: note the MAD! wife in the last Pic.
      Attached Files

Comment

You said a 360? No kidding. I thought most of these came with a 318.

Nice truck.

Comment

Engine Size

Let it be known, I have made a living fixing GM in a dealer, so I have a limited know how on old Dodge, but on the left side of the block, below cyl. head has 360 cast into, I thought it was 318 also.

Comment

Combination...

Mad wife - old truck. Old truck - mad wife. Welcome to the world of collecting old Dodge trucks.

(It doesn't get better... sorry... but they do get a little more tolerable after a few years...)
            Dana

Comment

Nice truck!

I also have one but it's from the Maryland National Guard, 29th. Division, 115 Infantry and was turned in at Aberdeen and and then used by the Havre de Grace Police Dept. who I got it from. 22,000 orig miles but more rust than yours.
              I am right across the river from you in Harford Co. at Webster Md. just a mile from I 95 exit 89 on State Route 155 west bound.
              Carter

Comment

Getting over it!

The wife is getting over it a little, she knows now the truck will be re-camo, not "regular paint" as she had hoped. I explained the whole value=original thing and compromised whith the possibility of a clear coat, she said shiny camo is ok.
                Carter D, I know your side of the river pretty well, I grew up in Bel Air, would you know were I could get a spare rim localy?
                Thanks for the compliments, I will have a lot of questions about it I'm sure, I have spent the last 24yrs working at a GM Dealer, but I like this truck because it has no computer or check engine light or an electric motor to engage 4WD. :)

Comment

Wheel rim

It's not exactly local but I got one from Coleman Surplus in Millersburg Pa. www.colemans@.com I got it for $35. and drove a couple of hours to get it and bring it home. Worth it!
                  Carter
                  Last edited by carter davidson; 09-08-2004, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Re: Engine Size

Originally posted by 77M884
                    Let it be known, I have made a living fixing GM in a dealer, so I have a limited know how on old Dodge, but on the left side of the block, below cyl. head has 360 cast into, I thought it was 318 also.
                    I'm not a Mopar expert, but all the M880 / M890 series trucks came with a 318 engine, if it is a 360 it is not original.
                    On the other hand if it is a 360 at least it should have more get up than the 150 hp 318 it came with!

Comment

boxes

nice truck I have one with a 360 as well but it has a four bbl carb on it and one question mine has a short box step side on it is that factory, do you know if they made them with step side boxes?

Comment

The Guy's here will know

I have always been GM until this truck, so I can't answer your question. I just read and learn from this site, but I know "the guy's here will know". I've not seen anything the forum has left unaswered yet, Good bunch of Guy's and a wealth of info.

Comment

Re: boxes

Originally posted by old blue
                          nice truck I have one with a 360 as well but it has a four bbl carb on it and one question mine has a short box step side on it is that factory, do you know if they made them with step side boxes?
                          The M880 / M890 series trucks all came with the 150hp 318-2v
                          All were 8ft standard boxes ( Except the Ambulance and Maintenance versions which left the Dodge assembly line without any box.)

That's not saying the Military / US Government didn't have or use other configurations. They just wouldn't have the "M8**" designation.

Comment

Working...
                          X