First Parade!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Parade!!

Well, I made it through my first Parade!! Our town, Chardon, hosts the Annual Geauga Maple Festival, and I was asked to bring my truck for the two day parade for the Local VFW and American Legion post. I readily accepted, little did I know that out of all the parade entrants, I was the FIRST vehicle in the parade; the pressure was on for a smooth ride!!

My son got to march with some of the vets in his WWII paratrooper reenactor uniform and gear, it was quite an honor for him.

On Sunday the clouds rolled in and we were sure it would thunderstorm, with no cargo cover on the truck, my 14 year old son took two of his wwII shelter halves, snapped them together and fashioned a "field expedient" for the vets. But the rain held off and most of them marched.
    Later, sitting back, with the truck tucked in the garage during the rainstorm, sipping on a cold one, I realized how worthwhile it has been to bring this old war horse back from the grave to become the leader of the pack. Good times!

Now there is a rebuild to be proud of :)

Happy days for more then one from many of hours of hard work :)

CONGRATS :)

Comment

Awesome! Looks real nice Carl!
      MN

Comment

Thanks

Thanks guys, its been a blast, and thanks for all your advice, suggestions and PARTS!!

Comment

Carl:

Lookin GOOD!

Later
          Ugg

Comment

Word of mouth

Word gets around FAST!
            I have been invited to lead the counties Memorial day Parade, as well as two requests to have my truck at a classic car show. Add to this the MVPA show in Dayton, and various military/aviation history shows it will be in, and I have to give it a whole new restoration!

Comment

Beautiful! Excellent work. Is that a collapsible water container on the gas can? If so can someone tell me who carries those? I want to get one, looks cool! Thanks, Glenn

Comment

The water bucket is from Army Jeep Parts Inc. I have lots of little (and some big) 'accesories' that i think add to the ambiance of the truck. In may we'll be setting up a whole encampment at the Findlay Ohio Armed Forces Day celebration.

Comment

Sounds good! Thanks for the info. Glenn

Comment

Way To Go, Carl

...the attention really makes all that hard work pay off. Congratulations!
                    Doug

Comment

Wonderful..... and I like the combat wheels, too.
                      Power Wagon Advertiser monthly magazine, editor & publisher.

Why is it that the inside of old truck cabs smell so good?

Comment

Thanks guys

Tomorrow the truck gets its first trailer ride across the state, To the Armed Forces Day show in Findlay Ohio. wish me luck!

Comment

Excellent, Carl, and I'm sure it was a memorable experience. thanks for the great pictures.

My old Town Wagon dressed in its camouflage was the lead vehicle in a parade. I had to go down to Mt. Shasta, CA one July 4th to pick up some supplies. As I drove down the main street it was fully populated on both sides by folks in folding chairs. I thought, "HUH? What's all this?" People were waving at me and giving me the thumbs up and hollering. I kept driving until I got to the hardware store. I asked what was going on and they said the 4th of July Parade just started. Turned out I was the lead vehicle and didn't even know there was a parade ha haha! Story of my life. But at least I didn't have to march behind the horses... :~ )

Comment

JimmeD,

Isn't Shasta a one horse town??

Seriously, that's a cool story. I rode with my folks Austin Healey club in an xmas parade as a kid.

Comment

Working...
                            X