2006 Pw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Pw

I have been wanting a PW since I was 8 finally a 2006 PW!!!!!

That's purty! Congrats.

Comment

Thanks its not a old one but its better than nothing.

Comment

Get it dirty!

That is a nice truck. The problem is I know how much they cost. I can't get one and if I did I would be scared to scratch it. I hope you are better. So the question is will it see any trials? I want to see it out in the bush bringing respect to the Powerwagan name it carries. Take it out and get it dirty!

Martin

Comment

It will see off road I do live in Alaska now. But I would like to treat it better than its ancestors since it will be my truck for a long time. I have owned a 81 trailduster 82 ramcharger 01 and 04 rams. None of them have the capability of this truck. I think this is the first real PW since the 60s. IMO
          Last edited by slayer; 08-08-2006, 02:17 AM.

Comment

I'm glad to see another "POWER WAGON guy" with a current model POWER WAGON.

Dodge has done an incredibly poor job of marketing the POWER WAGON. As a result, you will have many uninformed people telling you "it's just a Ram 2500 with a winch" and other equally incorrect statements. I attribute at least a few of these disparaging remarks to a bit of envy.

“Ask the man who owns one.” That was the simple advertising slogan of the Packard Company back when the reputation of the vehicles generally had more credibility with the buying public than the advertising “hype” that faces us today. Because the marketing people at Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler) have failed to get the whole story to the potential buyers, this “man who owns one” wants to share some important information about his 2005 POWER WAGON. Maybe someone from Dodge will read this and share it with the marketing people.

The window sticker from Dodge says my POWER WAGON is a RAM 2500 4x4 with the addition of the 26P option package. That is absolutely not true! The most basic component of any truck is the frame. The RAM 2500 4x4 frame is Part Number 52021558AK. The POWER WAGON frame is Part Number 52121299AF. A POWER WAGON starts as a POWER WAGON – not a RAM 2500.

Nowhere on a POWER WAGON does it say, “RAM”, the number “2500”, “HD” (Heavy Duty) or “4x4”. On a POWER WAGON, it says “POWER WAGON” and that says it all.

When you put these two trucks up on a lift, you can see the frames are different. The POWER WAGON frame has extra crossmembers and mounting points for the steering damper skid plate and the fore-aft bars that bridge the transfer case and fuel tank skid plates to prevent underside damage and rock wedging. There is no way some of those skid plates and other undercarriage protections unique to the POWER WAGON can be mounted on the RAM 2500 frame.

Many other POWER WAGON parts are different from the equivalent parts on the RAM 2500, especially the special driveline components unique to the POWER WAGON. Most notable are the American Axle TracRite axles with front open and rear anti-spin electrically locking differentials with 4.56 gear ratios. The POWER WAGON front drive shaft has a CV joint at the NV271 manual shift, two-speed, part-time transfer case. This CV joint has a lubrication fitting that requires a specially trained mechanic to service. Some front drive shafts on the earlier 2004 RAM 2500 4x4’s failed and were replaced under warranty. Now the parts computer shows the Ram 2500 4x4 using the same part number as the POWER WAGON.

There are unique instructions for operating your POWER WAGON. Read the manual carefully. In my first outing at the Georgia Rally last year, I did not follow the correct procedure for using the electric lockers and spent some time getting very muddy as part of winching my stuck truck.

I attended six events last year and two so far this year. I take my POWER WAGON out into the woods just as the owner of a new WDX would have taken his truck out to the job back in 1945.

It's a great truck and does well off road. The only weakness I've found so far is that the original tires were selected for every possible condition and are a compromise. I think any off road driving in Alaska will involve mostly mud instead of rocks and on road driving might involve a higher percenatace of deep snow than we have here in Texas. You will probably want a few more inches of clearance. I'm guessing that you will replace the tires with ones that have a larger diameter when the originals are worn out.

Now that you have a 2006 with some changes in the sheet metal, we can refer to your as the "new" POWER WAGON and mine as one of the "old" ones.

Enjoy it! And smile when there is a bit of envy in the voices saying, "Who needs all that stuff. My old #&**^$# will do just as good." Also, the tool kit for my POWER WAGON is different from every other POWER WAGON out there. It's a cell phone that I use to call the nearest service department to fix my FULLY WARRANTEED truck.

Comment

Two Corrections

= )

You left out the picture...and it says Hemi!....= )
              How was your trip?
              MN

Comment

Thanks for the Info. I have never been one who cares what people think anyway.

Comment

Welcome Slayer

Hey Paul, Norm, & Slayer,
                  Again I'm jealous, my dealer finally got one, called me up last week asking if I wanted to trade up? I did go & look, real nice "black beauty"! Employee pricing $36 grand, my trade in, mid-tweenties......... no way for this to happen.

Comment

No reason to be jealous as long as you own a DODGE. Im Jealous of alot of people on this site who own Killer old PW's.

Comment

Damm!! I think Paul Cook should get a job selling Powerwagons.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce
                        Hey Paul, Norm, & Slayer,
                        Again I'm jealous, my dealer finally got one, called me up last week asking if I wanted to trade up? I did go & look, real nice "black beauty"! Employee pricing $36 grand, my trade in, mid-tweenties......... no way for this to happen.
                        ???SO $11,000 net for a new Power Wagon? Except for the black paint, I like those odds....= )
                        MN

Comment

Originally posted by MoparNorm
                          ???SO $11,000 net for a new Power Wagon? Except for the black paint, I like those odds....= )
                          MN
                          MN, I gave almost 36 for the Ram! My Ram has only 10,340 miles on it.... I think I'll install a winch and look into the lockers?

Comment

Yeah but...the new Power Wagon is a lot more than lockers and winch, the frame aside, you'd most likely have another $8,000 to $10,000 in your truck to be an exact copy. You could probably do just the lockers for $2,500-$3,500 and just drive the $36,000 out of it...= )
                            You can't get too attached to these things because the next model year always has a few more bells and whistles...it's just that these year to year changes used to be on a $3,500 truck...sigh.....

MN

Comment

Inside I Know

That your right! Ahh the "old days" sigh...

Comment

Working...
                              X