Some shots from my display at the Fair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some shots from my display at the Fair

Here's a link to some of the photos from my truck display, and living history display.

http://news.webshots.com/album/553912991eWWkmE#

Other shots
    http://www.webshots.com/search?query...e=chromeheader

Carl:

Cool. Maynard's uniform just arrived TODAY. A bit late for the show 3 weeks ago. The guy had told me it was shipped out before June 28. He lied. It wasn't shipped until Sept. 4, almost a week AFTER the show. Still, it only took 3 days to get here from HONG KONG!

Later
    Ugg

Comment

Great!

What a truly eclectic display! You have covered three wars and about 25 years of military history.

By the way… Is that a bottle of "OB" right front of inner vestibule photo #12?

Comment

Vintage beer

I have three bottles, Kronezburg Kraftbier, Brak Spear, and a large Beck's bottle.

Note that all the ration labels i make and reproduce and use on curretn food cans. Sort of funny when folks watch me open up a can of 1943 "MEAT with BEANS" can and eat it all!
        Last edited by creinemann; 09-10-2006, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Hi Carl:

I really like what you have done and has inspired me too. We have been acquiring gear that would most likely be found around the Beast, so we could do a sorta display too. You may remember, the reason we got the Beast was for a father/son bonding thing.

Earlier this year, Maynard said he would like to dress the part of a WW II GI when we did the Volo show. So, I started finding things a GI would wear/use. We even ordered him a uniform. Unfortunately, it didn't arrive in time. Screw up at their end, and my fault for not checking sooner. Then I started thinking, father/son, yada yada, yada. Hmmm, maybe I should join him with the "Costume"?

Then it hit me, A BLAST FROM THE PAST! I was remembering the old comic books. Remember Sgt. Rock & Easy Company? The Haunted Tank? There was another comic titled "Our Fighting Forces". From time to time, they featured this one merry little band, and I then realized how DEEP an affect it had on me. Remember these guys?

Later
          Ugg
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Ugg013; 09-13-2006, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Folks really like the tie-in with the vehicle and the display. I have been asked to set it ALL up all over again for a Classic Car show they are having in Burton Ohio to Benefit a Veterans memorial. So I'll load up the 400 plus pounds of gear and tents and set it all up again. It is a good thing my son is interested in it as well, brute strenght to help me set it all up.

I'll have to look for those comics, I,m not familiar with them.

Comment

Carl:

I'm dating myself. They were popular from the mid 50's to mid 60's. Then, with the onset of Viet Nam, Rock N' Roll & GIRLS, they kinda faded. The Gunner, Sarge & Pooch were one of my favs back then. The reason I say it had a bigger affect on me than I realized, is that I've had white Shepherds for over 30 years now.

Back then, being an inner city kid & living in an apartment, I always wanted a BIG dog. I used to daydream about having a big white Shepherd. Then I forgot about it as life went on. Like I said, it wasn't until I started thinking about the display stuff BECAUSE OF YOU, that I even flashed on to that, and it kinda hit me like a ton of bricks. It's wild how that stuff works.

Having a son to help is great, but I've got Maynard, and he thinks manual labor is some Mexican guy's name. The kid'll stretch a 2 minute job into 4 hours. He'll screw up on the simplest of directions. Take this from here and put it there. He'll take the wrong item or put it in the wrong place. HA! I'm sure he does this on purpose. Just today I told him to turn off a lamp he was standing less than 2' from. That took 3 minutes. I've gotta laugh.

Later
              Ugg

Comment

My oldest does the same thing, Ugg. He's just trying to get you to stop asking.
                Sam's a sweet kid and can be really helpful, but sometimes he's standing there and goes "somewhere far away"....

Comment

Kids

I am sure that none of us was that way when we were in the fume stage...right?

I came home last night, my son wanted to show me how he put his '43 Jeep up on jackstands. I looked, said great job, but now you have to bring it down again, and remove the packing blanket for under the jackstands.

He was using the blanket to keep himself clean from the ground.... and then left it under the jackstands..

Comment

Guys:

I was never like that when I was his age. Ooops, darned lightning bolt almost got me that time. HA! While at the Volo show, I was talking to one of the older guys in my MV club. He was telling me about his lastest find, a 4 Ton Diamond T Wrecker he got from Armycar USA in Spooner, Wisconsin. His son is also in our club as the activities director.

He was telling me about all the work he has been doing on his vehicles. I assumed his son was a big help to him (his son is now 42). He said NOPE, he just stands around & watches, sometimes, reluctantly lending a hand. Said he was like that when he was a kid & never grew outa it. That really BUMMED ME OUT! I was hoping against hope that Maynard would grow outa this & it was just a phase.

We'll see, Maynard really IS a good kid & I feel pretty lucky the way (for the most part) he's turning out. This is in spite of my Dad, who was living with us until he passed, seeking revenge (as he put it) for everything I put him thru when I was a kid, by telling Maynard what I used to do. Fortunately, at best, my Dad was only aware of about 1/10th of what i pulled off back then.

He always used to say not to come crying to him when I screwed up cause he wouldn't bail my butt out (not his exact words) if I got in trouble, so I never did. Then again, he also said one of the reasons he lasted as long as he was (he was given 5 years to live when I was 12) was because of me. He said I kept him on his toes, never knowing what kinda stunt I'd pull off next (I was a very creative child. HA!). Compared to me, Maynard has been rasied as a monk. I tell him any thought he may ever get, I've already done (I hope I didn't give him ideas). I also tell him if he's lucky, when he's 40 or so, I may tell him what I used to do. ;>)

Later
                    Ugg

Comment

I think that most fun I ever had with my brother and sisters was sitting around with our parents when we were in our 40's...and telling them everything we had gotten away with as teenagers!...it was a great evening!
                      MN

Comment

That's one great looking display, Carl! Man what a lot of work and loving dedication. USAAF in that one shot reminds me of my father. Thanks....

Comment

Thanks

It is a growing hobby, and I mean growing, trying to find places to store and/or display the stuff at home is becoming a challenge.
                          Next Saturday I do it all again, at the Burton (Ohio) Car Show, 1st annual, and they are having a military vehicle section! I will be bringing the M37 and my sons 43 Willys MB to the show along with most of the stuff... took me three days to pack it all away last time!

Comment

Working...
                          X