Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust!!

Hello,
    Things are going slowly but the rust is slowly being cut out and replaced around the cab....
    A couple of photos of the progress for those who are interested. The box of 'bits' is all the rust that has been cut out, enough to build a new Dodge for anyone that would like to pay for pick-up!
    Cheers,
    Chris.
    Attached Files

Chris:

Try that 1 Step Rust Killer (brand name). So far it's been almost a year that it's been on, and the stuff I used it on sits outside exposed to all weather. So far, so good (yeah, I know that's what the guy who fell off the skyscrapper was heard to be sayin as he passed each floor). I've welded, sanded, and painted on it with NO problems of return yet. It cost about $40.00 a gallon.

Later
    Ugg

Comment

Originally posted by Chris.g. View Post
      Hello,
      Things are going slowly but the rust is slowly being cut out and replaced around the cab....
      A couple of photos of the progress for those who are interested. The box of 'bits' is all the rust that has been cut out, enough to build a new Dodge for anyone that would like to pay for pick-up!
      Cheers,
      Chris.
      Sizable amount of scrap metal.
      What does the area under your Slave Plug/Nato Outlet look like? Mine looks like it rotted from the inside out?

Comment

Thanks Ugg,
        I really am just learning from a VERY basic level.

I am in the process of treating the metal and any surface rust before I prime/paint. It is also helps that the truck is now in a very dry climate.

As for under the plug it had all but rusted away to nothing. Im guessing that the salt used on the roads over there in Winter just found a place to settle...its the same with the whole cab. From 3 inches up there is no rust to speak of, below that is another matter.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
          Sizable amount of scrap metal.
          What does the area under your Slave Plug/Nato Outlet look like? Mine looks like it rotted from the inside out?
          Mine was so far gone, eaten with rust, that I had to blast it out with the sand blaster, fill it with Bondo, and call it good. It looks much better now, just a little something missing on the left side of the truck.

Comment

I replaced both lower sides of the cowl on mine, just too rusted to fix. With a little creative welding of nuts on the inside to hold the receptacle on no one can tell the original hump in the sheet metal isn't there. I had a nice pile of sheet metal like that too, still haven't gotten rid of it.

Comment

Chris:

There is also the electrolyisis method. Some folk swear by that. NO loss of metal that way. I have yet to try that, but someday soon I hope. Yeah Norm, AFTER I get my garage clean. HA!

Later
              Ugg

Comment

Ugg, I have special software,....anytime the words "Ugg", "garage", or "clean", appear together, an alarm goes off and directs me to that post....= )

Comment

Hiya Ugg,
                  The electrolysis method seems very interesting. I wonder if there is a way I could suspend the whole frame and chassis in a tank it would just be fantastic!

Comment

Uh-Oh

Ur Gonna Need A Bigger Tank.

Comment

Yea maybe I should ask at the local town swimming pool ....
                      "I only want to use lanes 1, 2 and 3 for a couple of days.... sure people can still swim in there".

Oh well back to the reality of blasting, sanding, treating.
                      Cheers

Comment

This guy did a trailer frame: http://antique-engines.com/trailer-electrolysis.htm

I've used electrolysis for a number of smaller parts (that fit in a 5 gallon bucket) on my Power Wagon project with great results.

Comment

Working...
                        X