X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 Power Wagon Pics

First try at posting pics.This is Babe.Been a labour of love since 1984
    Not sure how to title these....
    1st pic is Tumbler Ridge BC Circa 1984(getting ready to lift body off to begin overhaul from frame up)Truck was found in Pouce Coupe a couple months before,Slant six(shot)running gear (shot,gears all welded)She was used as a farm tractor.The following week I found a 66 fargo 3/4 ton with PTO winch 318 wide block and good running gear(I towed babe up to TR behind the green beast(body parts on the right of pic),used a HiHab truckto lift off body to begin work.
    Next pic is here in CR around 2000 .Last pick is just to show how my popup tent(cowl)is attached.
    Attached Files

Looks good! Makes a neat camper.

Comment

Great looking Town Wagon, Radar!!! I love it, being a fellow Townie owner. When possible give us some updates on the current running gear and work you've done.

I had my TW set up with an extended tent in the rear at one time also. I used EMT electrical conduit that slipped into brackets along side of top. This metal tubing would slide out 8-9 feet with a couple of more pieces running down as wall frames. Some tarps thrown over this and tied down made one large, 17 foot, camping room. That way I could cook outside in inclement weather and also have a shade canopy for lounging around. Nice part was you could pull the doors shut and sleep inside in bear country.

Looks good and thanks for posting pics!

JimmieD

Comment

Tent

Jimmie D,
        My tent is completley colasible(fits in a bag) I used shock poles from a pup tent and extended them,then had a local seamstress copy my mock up ,using nylon.I also have a cook tent that i back up to(this tent slides underneath),for rainy season,(West coast on Vancouver Island),also have a small heater for warmth inside.I designed this about 15 yrs ago,and now I see them factory made(I think its for a Dodge SUV)If you want dimensions I could provide them for you(Takes 5 minutes to set up/knock down)The secret is the center pole and the way it clips onto the gutter.
        Running gear is Dana 44f 3200# axle ,dana 60 rear with limited slip.318 wide block engine (I modified a set of 289 headers),4 spd tranny and 2spd transfer case,with 1200# Bradon PTO winch(all rebuilt and running great!)Power steering is out of a 1972 Ford econovan(no frame modification!)getting ready to install power brakes and split hydralic system.Ive been able to insure as a station wagon,after I installed the rear folding seat.(Dodge Lebaron stn Wgn)I'm in the middle of preetying here up for the summer.New tires,drums brakes bearings and redoing the steering knuckes(was suprised that I could use ford knuckle seal kits)Dodge dealers are a complete waste of time,they dont seem too interested in older products.BTW , do I have to start a new thread to post more pics,or just delete and upload again?

Comment

Originally posted by radar View Post
          Jimmie D,
          My tent is completley colasible(fits in a bag) I used shock poles from a pup tent and extended them,then had a local seamstress copy my mock up ,using nylon.I also have a cook tent that i back up to(this tent slides underneath),for rainy season,(West coast on Vancouver Island),also have a small heater for warmth inside.I designed this about 15 yrs ago,and now I see them factory made(I think its for a Dodge SUV)If you want dimensions I could provide them for you(Takes 5 minutes to set up/knock down)The secret is the center pole and the way it clips onto the gutter.
          Running gear is Dana 44f 3200# axle ,dana 60 rear with limited slip.318 wide block engine (I modified a set of 289 headers),4 spd tranny and 2spd transfer case,with 1200# Bradon PTO winch(all rebuilt and running great!)Power steering is out of a 1972 Ford econovan(no frame modification!)getting ready to install power brakes and split hydralic system.Ive been able to insure as a station wagon,after I installed the rear folding seat.(Dodge Lebaron stn Wgn)I'm in the middle of preetying here up for the summer.New tires,drums brakes bearings and redoing the steering knuckes(was suprised that I could use ford knuckle seal kits)Dodge dealers are a complete waste of time,they dont seem too interested in older products.BTW , do I have to start a new thread to post more pics,or just delete and upload again?
          Quick, QUICK EDIT YOUR POST! If Mopar Norm sees you refer to a 318 POLY as a 'wideblock' it's going to get hot around here ha haha!

Thanks a whole bunch on that '72 Econoline P/S tip!!! I stuck a 4BT Cummins in mine and that fatso at 750-775 lbs really wants some Armstrong steering. A power setup would be great! I'll be searching that out.

Yeah, Dodge dealers, "A Town WHAT!?" Might try Rock Auto online for parts, they stock all kinds of stuff at good prices and there's other sources. If you need a particular part just post here and somebody will probably know where to get it.

I don't do as much truck camping now so I won't need the info on tent, but thanks. I just ground-tie a tarp with no supports as needed, but like I say, rare that I camp much now.

You shouldn't have to delete pics far as I know. Just post again, a new post in the same thread and upload pics the same as you did the first time. They'll post correctly in the new post.

Sounds like a really great truck and glad to hear you're taking such good care of it.

JimmieD

Comment

Another BeeCeer er

one of these days we all need to get together. That puppy is down rite cool.
            Bruce from across the water

Comment

hey radar

hey man very nice truck. every time i see pics of your trucks i get a funny feeling that mine needs to get finished , snd out more of her steve from western maine

Comment

Working...
              X